What do athiests think of this quote??

I saw a quote recently that was against athiesm in the United States. It read "We are granted freedom of religion, not freedom from religion." What is your opinion on this? Do athiests consider athiesm thier religion?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Easy analogy, Is bald a hair style? No, it's not it's the absence of hair. However you can request your local barber to "style" your hair in that manner. Just like atheism is not a religion it is the absence of belief in a god though it is still classified as a religious belief just as bald is classified as a hair style. Freedom of religion therefore corsses over to atheism as well because it is considered a religious belief even though it in itself is not a religion.
    Furthermore freedom of religion is supposed to apply to EVERYONE thus it includes freedom from religion because one does not have that freedom of religious belief if they are forced to adhere to the religious beliefs or rules of another religion. Really it's just 2 sides of the same coin.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Atheism is not a religion because it means not believing in any dieties so nothing is worshipped. It gets lumped together with religion all the time because it is the opposite of theism and can be used for a comparison when discussing the hows and whys to how we all got here.

I really dislike this quote because it insinuates that everyone must or should believe in at least one god in this country. How in heck are you going to enforce this 'freedom' without stepping on freedom of speech? The majority of atheists are law-abiding citizens just like Christians/Pagans/etc, so how and why should they be punished for not believing in a god? Isn't that punishment ultimately left up to god, not man?

Once you declare everyone must follow a religion, it will be just a short time before a particular religion is enforced to make sure atheists follow the right one.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think freedom of religion necessarily includes the option to be free of religion. If one cannot choose none as a option, there really is no freedom is there?

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Atheism is the lack of religion.  If the freedom of religion does not include the freedom from religion, then America isn't the free country that you would have the rest of the world believe it is. So is the American Constitution a lie or hypocrisy?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't really care much of that quote and agree with NotPanicking. But I have freedom of religion and I choose no religion so..loophole. Freedom from religion. Oh, and atheism is not a religion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I find it a little insulting and offensive. Are they saying we can believe in anything so long as we believe in something?
    I don't consider it my religion, but I do consider it my religious beliefs.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't like it. It doesn't seem fair. Freedom of religion to me is like someone saying "it's really none of my business what you believe in just don't shove it on to me" I'm not Athiest, but I've always thought of it as it's own kind of religion, and even if it isn't as long as they're not bugging you about it, what's the problem with them not having a religion?
    GimmpyUrameshi

Answer by GimmpyUrameshi at 1:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you're really stretching to turn an old cliche into a judgment against "atheism in the US". All that quote means is you are not allowed to stop anyone from practicing their religion. It says nothing about the validity of atheism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No offense taken, Amber. :-) I only say it's my "religious beliefs" because it's my answer when someone asks what I believe. I just tell them I don't have any beliefs. Some may consider that believing in something.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

•  

Is it saying we are NOT free if we choose to follow NO RELIGION??

Guess Im headed to the slammer

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2010