Should she get rid of the dog?

I'm asking this question for my mom and dad who just don't know what to do at this point. My 20 year old sister still lives at home with them, and in January, brought home a 6 week old Golden Retriever that she bought from a breeder (with her own money). We had a 14 year old Collie that was on her last leg at the time, and I think my parents didn't want to tell my sister to take the dog back because they knew we would be losing our other dog soon. She did end up dying at the end of the month. Well 7 months later, this dog is a NIGHTMARE. Tearing up the carpet, digging holes in the backyard, peeing in the house, chewing everything, jumping on people, on counters, etc. My sister put her in puppy school but it didn't help a bit. My sister is gone most of the day, either working or out with her friends or bf, and my parents are left to take care of the dog because they won't leave her in her crate. They have HAD it. Cont...

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Yes! Not just for their sake, but for the dog's as well. The poor dog probably isn't getting any attention, so she acts out. But if I was in your parents position, I would demand your sister find a new home for the pet, or I'd do it myself. BUT I would find a no-kill shelter if I was unable to put her directly in a home
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'd kick her out with the dog. She obviously has no respect for your parents or their house.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• just train the dog. if she is not willing to train it then yes, find someone who will. taking care of a puppy is not as fun as it sounds. you have to work with them a lot and teach them a lot.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, the dog needs a home that has the time for it. As for Goldens being too big to be indoor dogs that's ridiculous! My 90+lb Doberman is an indoor dog and very happy, he goes outside as much or as little as he wants, which when it's rainy in the winter isn't much! Our neighbors have a 150lb Newfoundland that is an indoor dog, friends have Great Danes as indoor dogs. I think 99% of dogs like to live inside with their people regardless of their size! My dogs will always be predominantly indoor dogs. Meaning they will always sleep inside and will be allowed in whenever they want.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes your parents should make her get rid of the dog that is not a good place for it all day in a crate
    sunkist332002

Answer by sunkist332002 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sounds like the dog needs to be trained and needs some attention. I think she should get rid of the dog so she can have the attention she needs. And the training. Poor dog.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 2:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It really ticks me off when people don't care for their animals! This dog is being mistreated/neglected and that's not fair to the animal. Someone needs to trait the dog- if your parents don't want to take on the responsibility of another dog, I would have them tell the sister that she has a deadline to get the dog into another obediance training and to actually work with the dog to control behaviour (because it's not enough just to go to puppy school- you need to stick wtih it!) or else the dog will be getting a new home. And make sure they find a GOOD new home for the dog if it comes to that.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She really needs to either train her dog or get rid of it. I have a boxer and she runs outside for as long as she wants, but she is a inside dog for the most part.
    Scoots255

Answer by Scoots255 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• They have tried telling my sister she can't go anywhere unless the dog is taken care of, so she just locks her in her crate and leaves anyways. They now are trying to decide if they should make her get rid of the dog or not. What do you think?
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• sorry, but I think she should get rid of it or at least keep it outside! golden retrievers are big dogs and need room to run and play, IMHO they shouldn't be kept as indoor dogs.

she needs to take care of it herself or get rid of it, It should not be your parents' responsibility to take care of it just so their house doesn't get trashed by it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010