How Do I Deal With Other Children Ignoring My 4 Year Old?

The sun has started coming out up here in the Pacific Northwest, so I have been taking my 4 yr old to the local park more frequently. She has only recently become very outgoing with other children, wanting to show them her toys and participate in whatever activites they are playing, regardless of their age or activity.

My issue is that other children often ignore her. It gives ME a lot of anxiety to see my daughter being ignored and I cannot remember my child psychology as to whether the behavior of the other children, and my daughter are all normal or not.

My daughter is completely typical, cute, developementally above average...basically she just wants to make friends and the other kids are weary of her.

Am I just overreacting based on my own childhood feelings, or is there a possible issue that I need to address??

Help!

maya.momma

Asked by maya.momma at 1:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are the kids older? I notice when my child tries to play with older kids at the park they basically ignore him. Most older kids won't play with younger ones it seems.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• In today's case, the children were between 3 and 6. Previously with other kids, they've been older.
    maya.momma

Comment by maya.momma (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Older kids usually don't want to play with younger kids. Sometimes kids just ignore other kids, I don't think you should feel any anxiety just let her go and play and she will make friends.

There are days when we go to the park and nobody plays with my four year old and then there are days were he makes friends and they play together.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 3 year old, she loves playing with other kids but sometimes other kids don't want to play with her. My daughter is kind of shy so it breaks my heart to see her approach someone and be rejected, but recently I have noticed it bothers me more than it bothers her. I try not to worry about and so should you, it is all a part of being a kid. I tel my 3 year if they don't want to play with you then you shouldn't want to play with them.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The best way to address this problem is to help build your daughter's circle of friends. Join a play group, attend library events, enroll her in dance lessons, etc. to give your daughter the opportunity to make friends.  Invite one child at a time to your home for a play date and then invite that child to play in the park with your daughter. It will give your daughter more confidence if she is in the park with a friend, and the other children will perceive her in a different light. Additionally, It is possible that the children in the park are friends, so they naturally stick together.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010