What do you think about arranged marriage's?

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 1:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Sounds like they usually work out better/ are more successful than finding the right person yourself! So I guess as long as both are old enough and enter the marriage willingly I'm all for it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• As long as both people are entering the marriage by choice I'm fine with it. It's not something I would personally want though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• They've been the norm throughout most of history, and still are in many cultures across the world, mostly in cultures in which women are little more than chattle. I think that arranged marriages are just trading in human flesh, I don't think it's right. Marriage should be entered in to between people who know they want to be married to the person or people they are marrying. Not to strengthen families, or for doweries or for the advancement of the parents.

Arranged marriages today often take place between very young girls and older men. They end in abuse and heartache for many women. I disagree with it on a lot of levels.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Blueliner, the reason they work out more is because they take place in cultures in which women may not file for divorce, where men are permitted to beat and rape their wives, where women are demeaned and even kept from education. They work becuase the woman has no way out and nowhere to go, and even if she did, she would be shunned from society for the rest of her life because she was no longer a virgin, and a woman's virginity in those cultures is prized above the woman herself.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not good if you didn't pick them out and someone else did like your parents now if your girlfriends said girl that is the one for you then thats ok. Any relationship can work out if both work on it like they do at there jobs.
    sunkist332002

Answer by sunkist332002 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Very outdated by American standards. Our children are not so heavily protected and isolated as children from the countries where this is still frequently practiced. Boys and girls here intermingle their whole lives, and they naturally fall in and out of love without much reason. Class, race, and social standing is not critical to maintain, nor is following the same religious beliefs a requirement for many families.

I knew a family from Jordan who sent their first daughter back to marry her intended. That only lasted a couple of years due to her OCD behavior. I also knew a man from Pakistan who managed to marry his AA girlfriend rather than the girl his parents had planned him to marry whom he'd never met. I know he was much happier making the decision for himself.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• That's not always true 777, they are still popular in India and it is common for them to be between people about the same age, divorce is excepted, and wife beating is generally not excepted. Like I said, as long as both parties are willing and old enough then I think it's great. I've known plenty of Indian girls around her in the US that were totally fine with the idea of arranged marriage. I've also know older Indian and Pakistani couples that were in arranged marriages and happy, and certainly not beaten!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• opps, 777 was how many credits you had lol... I meant ati13
    Blueliner

• not a bad idea!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 1:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think they work about as well as regular marriages.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 3:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2010