Does anyone know about a septum (heart shaped) uterus?

I am concerned because my Dr. thought I may have one and sent me to a specialist who agrees that I do. I have had 5 miscarriages over the past 6 years. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant...this being the furthest along I have gotten with any of my pregnancies. I am worried about pre term delivery. My life is complicated and stressful, and at my last ultrasound the doc said I was having a contraction aand i saw it. Is this normal at 23 weeks? My doc says he pretty sure it wont have an affect on this pregnancy, but I have appointments atleast twice a month. I think he just doesn't want me to worry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My friend has a heart shaped uterus and she is about 31ish weeks along (due august 20th). All is going well with this one. She did loose 2 before this one. That is about all I know on this.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Someone was just asking about this the other day. So I kinda learned about it to answer that question. I saw that it is more common for premature labor, about 64% But with the technology these days I'm sure you're little one will be fine. Obviously the longer baby stays in the better. Contractions don't always mean labor. I had contractions for two months before both my boys were born. And a lot of them hurt, so I was freaked, but the doctor said if they aren't consistent it wasn't labor. Contractions are bad if you are dilating too. Or bleeding. Anyways good Luck. Congrats on your baby.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The depth of the septum is a factor. If it's shallow then it doesn't usually complicate pregnancy. if it's deep, even dividing the uterus, you are more likely to have pre term labor. But in the next week, your baby will reach the age of viability. They will have an 80% chance of surviving if they were born :)

It's very normal to be having contractions at this point in your pregnancy. They are called Braxton Hicks contractions and they are getting your uterus ready for when labor starts. It's totally not anything to worry about :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The uterus contracts throughout the second half of pregnancy, regardless of any variation in shape, position, etc. It's the uterus's way of toning up for the big marathon coming up in a few months. Try not to worry too much about that.
    I agree with Ati about the septum. There are a lot of variations in how deep they are and that's a factor. Your doctor would be the best resource for info about the dangers associated with our particular case, but, like Ati said, you're getting very close to the age where your baby is viable, and able to survive outside the womb. Try not to stress too much, as stress can also bring on preterm labor. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Thanks to all who responded ur words of encouragement and helpful info have helped to ease my nerves abit. thanks again
    csmomma2010

Answer by csmomma2010 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a heart shaped uterus! I have carried 3 babies to term :) I did have one miscarriage, which they think might have been caused by the baby implanting in the smaller side of my uterus. But all of my other pregnancies I have delivered at 38-39 weeks :)
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010