If I quit smoking and drinking now will that help with conception?

We JUST started trying. I smoke one cigarette a day and drink on occasion but not enough to get drunk. Could these habits interfere with anything? Anything else we should know about?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 1:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I think it will.My best friend was TTC for over a year and finally had some tests to see what was wrong.Nothing at all!The ob told her to avoid stress and quit smoking/drinking.Well,she did and 2 months later...we were dancing around her positive test!Good luck!
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 3:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not drinking and not smoking will most definitely help with TTC. Hopefully your partner is following suit because his health matters too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, quitting it now is best. It will interfere with TTC.
    mrsjeni

Answer by mrsjeni at 2:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Smoking and drinking while pregnant are definite no-no's as they could affect the fetus, but how many women go to bars, smoke, drink and wind up pregnant? Or those that don't know they're pregnant and continue to smoke and drink and still are blessed with healthy babies? Obviously, for you own health alone, these are not good habits, but I seriously doubt that one cigarette a day is going to hinder anything....but coming from a former smoker....what's the point of one cigarette a day???
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It will make you healthier which in turn certainly wouldn't hurt!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010