To moms with nursing photos. How do you think your child will feel?

The internet is forever. For that reason i would never put a photo of myself nursing my daughter or son. I dont think it would be fair to them. I think it COULD be embarrassing and leave them feeling uneasy about having been breastfed (which is the opposite of what i want).
I understand having the photo in the first place (its a super special and unique time, so it makes sense to want to remember it and hold on to it), but putting it on the internet, to me, seems to be crossing a line.
I also understand being proud of the accomplishment, but again, i dont think a photo on the internet is the appropriate way for me to show my pride.

This isnt meant to be mean.. just talking.

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 2:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't breastfeed, but if my mom had breastfed me and put the picture out there, I'd just be happy I wasn't being starved. no difference in that and a picture of a kid with a bottle.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think anyone will recognize a pic of her breastfeeding at 16 months... I guess I've put one or two on CM but not on FB or anything, so I don't see anyone finding them 10-15 years from now and making an issue of it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• personally I wouldn't put a pic up either, but my 10 yr old dd doesn't think it's gross or wrong.
    musik16

Answer by musik16 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would not take a picture of myself nursing, and if any of my friends or my hubby tried, they would get my foot where they don't want it. But that's just me. If you want to have nursing pictures, I would imagine the child would feel about the same as they would about bathtime pictures, because I am assuming that if mom nurses they will be raised in the belief that there is nothing weird or shameful about breastfeeding.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was just going to add what kiwi said... how would she feel about a pic of her being bottle fed? It SHOULDN'T be any different...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't put the nursing photos on the internet, but I have some family album photos of me nursing.
    My mom has some of her nursing me too. And speaking from experience, I always knew I was breastfed, I didn't care to have the pictures shown to other people, but she did of course, and I was just like "Whoopti doo, a baby eating" LOL I didn't care and thought it was stupid for her to show people, anywho. I BF my son now so I'll bring out the embarrassing pics one day, I'm sure, but not on the internet.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• adding****
    I dont want them on the internet because I'm kinda fat now and I don't want my HUGE BOOB out for the whole world to see...lol

I'f my boobs weren't ginormous and I looked like I brushed my hair...maybe :) lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was talking to my husband about it, and he said he would be mortified if his mom had done it. We are both very very pro breastfeeding... We are just sensitive to how our kids will react. I dont think i'd care if my mom had a photo of me nursing (i wasnt BFed.. stinks), but i cant speak for my kids.
    redderbedder

Comment by redderbedder (original poster) at 2:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I will in still in my children how wonderful breastfeeding is. They know its best even at their ages but they also know there is nothing wrong with formula either(except its nasty hahaha but better than nothing :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah. I'm going to teach my kids that bf is fantastic and they should go full on with it when they decide to have kids, and will support them or their spouses %100000... I already do.
    My feeling, though, is a kid might be embarrassed by seeing themselves nursing. Especially a boy. My husband was taught how great nursing is, but still thinks a photo is a personal thing for his mom, and would rather not see it. I think it could be counterproductive.
    redderbedder

Comment by redderbedder (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2010