Did anyone use Hooked On Phonics? Was it worth the investment?

A friend of mine just raves about Hooked On Phonics, but I don't know if I want to spend the money. My son is reading at first grade level even though he is 8. Is it too late to use something like that with him?

tiggermom803

Asked by tiggermom803 at 2:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No it wasn't. I would try the Leapstar or Leap Frog programs, they make it fun for the child to learn rather than pump them full of useless information.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 2:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends on why your son is having trouble. If he hasn't been taught phonetic rules Hooked on Phonics could be a great way for him to catch up. But that's only one of many reasons he may be struggling. It really depends on the child.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Get on clicknkids.com. It is much better and they will enjoy it more. It will cost about the same or less.
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 2:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010