Is it common for a ten month old to be able to say words and know exactly what they are or what they mean?

My 10 month old can say mama, dada, baba, and yes and she looks at each person when she says it. I'm a very proud mama and I was just wondering. Thank you in advance for any of your answers. Jess

URSOJESS

Asked by URSOJESS at 3:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I'd say it is common for kids that age to know some words. They all should be able to recognize who mama and dada are...although I don't remember the average number of words a ten month old says. DD could say quite a few by one, but I honestly don't remember how many at all! Babies should also be able to recognize more words than they can actually say... like if you say "do you want your cup?" they should recognize what a cup means and get excited or start reaching for it if the answer is yes. That is just an example though. But yeah, sounds like your little one is right on track and learning well. Good job! :-)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, i think its normal at that age.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, very common. Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton is a wonderful book on child development. You can learn more at Dr. Brazelton's website: http://www.touchpoints.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You should be a proud Mama!!! My son is 9 1/2 months old and he does all the same and has also added no to his vocabulary. His first word besides those was bath and is figuring out to how to walk as well!!! Good Job Mama!!!
    JenniferQ24

Answer by JenniferQ24 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• also my son is techicnically the same age as your little one I carried for 43 weeks...just wanted to say that so you didnt think I was trying to show you up or anything lol
    JenniferQ24

Answer by JenniferQ24 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes. You sound like a great Mom
    widespreadpanic

Answer by widespreadpanic at 11:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Totally normal :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I just looked at this chart and it helps a lot to see how your baby is doing w/ milestones. :)

Sounds like a smart booger!

MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 10 month is saying mom and dad. i thought it odd he didnt say mama or dada. he says goggy (doggy) and mine. there are all really clear which is so weird to me. he also is walking!! yay!! its crazy how fast it happens. keep encouging the talking and ask them lots of questions!
    allisonc242

Answer by allisonc242 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yap, good job momma!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010