HELP PLS! My DD is sick for the very 1st time.... :(

The whole family is sick.. My DH gave it to me, and I gave it to her.. It breaks my heart to see her sick. She seems to have a stuffy nose and is coughing a bit. Shes waking up more frequently during the night since shes not feeling well. What can I do to help her? Should I also continue BFing her when we're both sick? I have a fever, headache, runny nose and congestion....

urban_baybee

Asked by urban_baybee at 3:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes continue nursing. Its good for her especially when she is sick.

Try sitting in the bathroom while holding her and run the shower as hot as it gets and keep the door closed. The warmth will help her cough and congestion. Sit in there for about 10-15 minutes. After that take her into a room or something that is kind of cool. It helps alot. You can also use baby vicks on her. If shes still a newborn, id put the vicks on her feet and put socks on her.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would consult your dr. get a diagnosis of what it is you have and how you should treat your baby. . .babies react differently to illnesses than adults. . .and get worse more easily. *hope that makes sense*
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If her sickness is nothing major like high fever etc... the dr will probably do nothing about it. If you want though talk to her pedi
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• First of all relax.Babies can pick up on mama's stress and feel frightened.Just monitor fever if any and keep bf her.Lots of fluids always help with coughing.Use a nasal spray and perhaps keep her head elevated a bit with a pillow when sleeping.I always used a mask when I was sick to protect my baby.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 4:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we do a lot of herbal remedy. . .masks and such too, but I always checked with my DD's Dr. just to be sure. . . Paranoid mum here. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• aww, the first time is scairy, keep a eye on her temp. breast feeding is the best for her right now, as your body fights off the sickness the immunities are transferred trough your milk to you lil mama. put a humidifier in her room if she is stuffy, and use that blue bulb thing to get out any mucus if it is building up. She should be fine, your doing great!
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's okay! Continue nursing her definitely! She will get the antibodies through your breastmilk. Do NOT stop bfing!!!!!!! Next, talk to your doctor and her pediatrician and get a diagnosis and figure it out from there. If she is running a fever they might want you to give her tylenol or whatever. But definitely talk to the doctor.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 10:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• keep on breastfeeding for sure : )
    that will keep her hydrated.
    take care of yourself too mama!
    give your baby extra love and snuggles!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010