my son is 12 and he asked me about sex and condoms what do i say?????

faith766

Asked by faith766 at 4:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you not discussed this in the past? If not then you need to sit down with him and answer questions and give him good information, you dont have to tell him everything in vivid detail but make sure that you have given him answers to the questions he does have. The fact that he is coming to you for answers is huge, he has opened the door for you to have a open discussion that many parents have a hard time brigning up.

My oldest is now 12 but we covered this topic 2 years ago, he still has questions and we talk things out. There are some great books in the library that can help guide you if your unsure what to say. My rule has always been to asnwer whatever they ask but to make it age appropriate.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My brother did this when he was 12 and he was not sexually active, just curious. I would tell him that condoms aren't 100% effective and give him the birds and the bees talk, and keep a good eye on him if he has a girlfriend.
    Good luck.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 4:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• well i dont know he goes to skaten city and i leave and go get himm he plays with all the girls and boys should i be nevouse
    faith766

Comment by faith766 (original poster) at 4:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• buy some condoms for him to have, not encouraging him to use them, but so he can figure out how to put one on, safely and effectively. Also, be honest, any questions he has answer them. My SO lost his virginity at 12, no one ever educated him on risks, teach him so he will know but also teach your morals as well.

Good Luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Maybe even do a banana/zuccini demo so he can see how it works. And maybe just "leave one out" unopened so he can "sneak" it. He'll probably try it on, but he won't want you to know most likely.

Just a suggestion, I am dreading this, but my sons 7mos so I have a ways to go
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• hi miss 3 ring circus he is soooo cute my son i have little girls callin my house all the time askin for him and im scared when he goes to the movies with his friends they always bring little girls with them
    faith766

Comment by faith766 (original poster) at 4:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2010