Spin off someones group post...Would you be upset if your child were in daycare and you provided your breastmilk for them to feed her and they used gloves to handle the BM?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No I wouldnt be upset, I am realistic that in todays world you just dont know who has what and not only that but I appreciate that they are not contaminating my breastmilk that my child is about to ingest.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't be upset no...if anything I would find it funny.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Uh... not sure why they would have to handle the actual BM... like they are using gloves to handle the bottle? I wouldn't be upset, but I would find it a bit silly. I'd probably laugh. The chance of the breastmilk spilling onto hands, then that hand having an open cut, then me having some sort of blood-transferable disease and not disclosing it & passing it to my child would all be very unlikely. But, no, it wouldn't offend me. And sure, maybe it would keep my child's bottle a little less germy. Of course, my child's never had a bottle so I guess I really don't know much about that. Personally I'd feel more comfortable handling a bottle of BM then a bottle of formula with all the ick in that powder. But I'm not perfect either, my kid gets some processed and junk foods, which is a lot of ick as well. I hope to run a small childcare service sometime soon that would specifically cater to breastfeeding, babywearing, etc.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Bella thats an AWESOME idea you have there!!!!! seriously!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• lol - as the other pp's have said, I wouldn't be offended really. I would think it was a bit silly - for the reasons mentioned already, but on the other hand, I understand that, technically, it's a bodily fluid, and many States have requirements about handling bodily fluids.

The way I look at it, I would rather go overboard and wear gloves to handle breast milk than to go the other direction and be changing diapers, dealing with baby vomit, etc, without being sanitary about it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think its a good idea. I wouldnt mind if they did this with my BM...

Thijnk of all the dirty diapers they handle with poop and urine, and throw up and germs in general.. and any children that are sick or could be sick.. the dirt...

YUCK!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think I would be glad to have them handling food with gloves on UNLESS they are doing it ONLY with your child and the Breastmilk because kids are very sensitive and would notice that and wonder why THEY are DIFFERENT.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 5:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• As a healthcare provider...no I would not. Just as I hope they wear gloves when changing the children and all that.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Having read the original post...it wasn't the need for gloves that was upsetting. It was the way it was written in huge letters on the daily instructions, where EVERYONE could read it, that was bothersome. Sort of like if your doctor wrote out that you have some really embarrassing medical condition on a big whiteboard in the office so not only the STAFF could see it, but so could everyone else walking by. In the case of the doc, that would be a violation of HIPAA rules.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2010