Is this strange that my DD repeats noises constantly??

Our tv makes a little chimed noise when turned on and off, and she repeats it... she repeats the beeping on the microwave, the creaking of the couch or door... a ringtone of a phone.... any jingle or beeping noise a toy makes....

she does this ALLLL day long lol and my friend said it seems weird that she does it so much. i dont think so? am i wrong?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think its weird....kids repeat sounds in order to process them and pick them up better...even if it is a TV or microwave. My son has repeated lots of words over and over as well as different sounds and sequences of sounds - no different than copying the TV or microwave sound in my opinion.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think this is unusual. . . if it continues maybe. . .it could be signs of a mental disorder. If it really concerns you ask your Pedi when your next well baby appointment is. . .I am sure it is nothing to worry about.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• bump. Do you think maybe she's autistic? Or has what my step~brother had: ADD or ADHD?

If it bothers you enough to post it on here then I would take her to the PCM...

But, I seriously think she's just being a goofy cute little kid!

smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 4:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• PS. I think if it doesn't bother you and your friends are harping on it, then don't bring your friends around her so they don't put weird thoughts in your head about your Dd!

smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 4:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's just her being observant. I asked my SO and he thought the same thing. I don't think it should a concern, maybe try having her attach words to the noises so she can learn more, bigger, words too.

Like when she mimics the sound of a ding from a microwave, ask her "What sound is that?" and then respond "Yup, Microwaves go ding." make it a game
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think its normally kid behavior, thats how they learn, by hearing and repeating sounds. My son is 14 months and repeats sounds all the time, sometimes it gets a little annoying hearing the same thing all day lol but its just him experimenting with sounds and learing new words
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 8:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sounds normal, but good ideas posted.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i think it's a good thing she is learning noises, dont let your friend get to you. my family and i play the repeat game in the car. it's a way to make the time fly on trips and it keeps their minds occupied. i would only worry about it if she hasnt gotten words at all by the time she is two. my pediatrician told me that it was a way for some kids to express themselves when they cant express themselves clearly yet.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010