Sleep Apnea,If your child has it,Please answer...

I think my ds has it,I mean I know he does but not how bad or why. He is a bed wetter,has trouble staying asleep and is scared of being alone while sleeping(he wants us to sleep w/him). My ds is 6. He has behavioral problems too.
He snores and will stop breathing and then will gasp for air. Where do I start in trying to get some help for him?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 6:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Have him tested now so he can have some relief, it could really help his behavior. He should be tested especially since he snores this is a symptom of apnea, dr are more willing to test for this now because there is better equipment for testing.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My oldest had obstructive sleep apnea - her tonsils were so larget that when she slept they would cause her to stop breathing periodically during the night. She use to sleep in strange positions (like with her butt sticking up). She snored loudly. She was cranky a lot of the time (probably from not getting a good nights sleep). I mentioned it to her doctor when she was 6. For diagnosis we hooked up to a monitor that measured the oxygen supply when she slept - this was done at our house and was pretty easy to do. We took the monitor back to the doctor to check the readings. It showed that she did indeed stop breathing during the night. When looking at the x-ray of her tonsils it was easy to understand why. She had her tosnsils removed and things have been much better since (and that was 8 years ago). Good luck!
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'd take him to an ENT to let them check his tonsils & adenoids to make sure they are not obstructing his airway when he relaxes into sleep (this was a major cause of obstructive sleep apnea for my son). If ENT checks him out & finds nothing, then that doc will probably recommend a sleep study be done. With a sleep study, the docs can see if your child has an obstructive problem, central apnea or something else entirely that may be causing his issues. My son had his tonsils & adenoids removed when he was 6, and that helped, but he still had issues with fatigue, behaviors, etc., but it took a few years for medical science to catch up to his needs. Last year he did a sleep study and it showed that he has multiple hypoxic episodes during the night, which has not improved, so he's supposed to have another sleep study this summer to see if we need to add oxygen or bipap to his bedtime routine.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Look at your local children's hospital's website, and find out if they have a sleep medicine specialist. They will almost certainly do a sleep study to determine what type of apnea he has (obstructive, central, or mixed), how severe it is, and what treatment is needed. There are lots of sleep labs around, but be sure you get a doctor qualified in pediatric sleep disorders to do and evaluate the test.

My daughter has a severe form of central "sleep" apnea called CCHS. She barely breathes at all while asleep, and only about 3 times a minute while awake. A sleep center put her on Bipap ST years ago, but didn't refer her to a peds pulmonologist with experience in CCHS. As a result, she wasn't adequately ventilated during the day for several years, and has many complications as a result of not being trached and put on a ventilator immediately. Untreated sleep apnea can cause heart and neurologic problems.

CCHSMOM

Answer by CCHSMOM at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• first- talk to his dr about getting him into a sleep study. my son was diagnosed almost a year ago with mild sleep apnea. he had all the same signs that your son is doing. his dr put him on a CPAP machine which is now hes sleeping better and more rested when he gets up in the morning now.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010