Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Restraining order/harassment? (not sure where to put this)

My cousin has been dealing with someone harassing her - coming into her work, phone calls, threats and nasty messages over Facebook (a status saying she was going to "break her over her knee"), sending friends into her work to bother her, etc. She's called the sheriff's office, and one cop told her they could (and should) do something about it, but the magistrate told her that they wouldn't - that she would have to go through a lawyer. This has been going on since September, and we all just want to know how we can make it stop, especially since she lives right behind them (she moved in about three months ago), and its only gotten worse since then.

Anyone know what my cousin can do to make any progress in getting something done about this?


Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Level 47 (246,717 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • You can go down to the courthouse where you go to county clerk to fill out the paper work.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Go talk to a lawyer. I don't think you can get a restraining order without one!

    Answer by rockinmomto2 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Thanks! I think she's planning on calling a pro-bono place - the magistrate gave her the number. I told her we'll go through all our messages and document every time she told me about the girl doing or saying something to her (she's my best friend so I'm the one she tells when this kind of thing happens), and we'd ask around and see if there's anything else we can do to make her case stronger so when she goes to talk to the lawyer they'll be more apt to help her.

    Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Your local District Attorneys office should have a "Crime Victims Advocate Unit". You should call and get into contact with them. They will help you. Good Luck.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • She should be able to go to the County Clerk's office and fill out the paperwork for an Order of Protection without an attorney. And, in most cases an Order of Protection actually is better than a restraining order.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • She needs to keep records of all tht is going on and then get to a lawer for some help...GL to her hope tht sh*t stops...

    Answer by Judmr at 10:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Thank all of you. We took her to the court house this morning so she could file for a 50C (no contact order), but they even went so far as to issue a warrant for her arrest, so it should be taken care of - they go to court in a month!

    Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010