Do you have a pitbull?

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I have a pitbull and everyone keeps telling me they're baby killers!

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 7:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Screw them. ANY dog with issues and/or bad owners can snap and potentially kill someone. Pitbulls have such a bad rep cause they're strong. So many people abuse them and use them for fighting which makes them known as violent dogs. Breed alone does not make your dog a killer. My pitbull mix is unbelievably sweet. I guess you could say she attacks my little one with kissess though...
    Just read up on dig training specific to introducing a new baby :)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not if the dog has been raised as a part of the family. It all has to deal with on the people and how the dog is treated. My dogs are very protective of my grandchildren including the female who doesnt like children. Hence show the love and include your four legged fur baby and all should work out. Good Luck!:)
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 7:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't make the statement that all pit bulls are baby killers, I just wouldn't risk it. Most pit bulls are known to be friendly dogs until they just snap. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me, but to each his own.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We have 5 and we have 4 children and baby #5 on the way. We have them both in our house and outside and never have had any issues with them. My children climb all over them and play with them daily and we have never had the first problem. You know if your dog is a good dog or not you dont need anyone else to tell you so , your with your dog daily there not , you can not judge a dog by its breed.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 12:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree with Melissa- its not to say bit bulls are bad dogs, they just have a lot of bad blood running though them, there known to be more of the kind of dog that just SNAPS one day, all fine and well, than just go crazy. but that an happen with any dog. do u know where it came from, what kind of blood line it has? bring him to a park, does he get startled or upset by children. if u have no problem throwing away your cats you should have no problem throwing away ur dog if need be,
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I worry about ALL dogs around babies! It's just that pitbulls are so strong that one snap could end in death. I know two people who almost died after being attacked by dogs, one a great dane and one a pit bull. They were both family dogs that had never been aggressive. You never know what a dog will do, much like you never know what a 2 year old will do, that makes a bad combo! I just would never chance it!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2010