Is it wrong that I made my inside cats permanent outside cats?

Not to mention the fact my cats are not declawed and we bought 2,ooo.oo$$ couches, but we are PREGNANT!:)
Whats your intake on making house~cats permanently outside!?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 7:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• LOL oh wow! I would totally throw out the cats if i was pregnant! My kids are WAY first then animals. I'm not saying i'm cruel to them, i'm just saying that they are animals that were created to be outside, they will adapt and be fine! Its pretty funny that so many ppl think that pets are "like children" lol They are animals, were and always will be.
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 5:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Personally? Well, you asked but THATS horrible! It's like taking a child and dumping them outside. I hope you feel really bad when you walk out one day and see one of your cats dead in the middle of the road or maybe you just want them to run off and get lost? Cats that have been indoors do not do well outside. They do not have so called street smarts to even know what to do or not to do. I'm sorry, I just can't get over that you would toss your cats out because YOU decided you wanted new furniture. Thousands of pregnant women have had cats in the house. Just have someone else change the litter or wear gloves and be very careful. Geesh, you should take them to a no kill shelter and let them be adopted out to someone who really cares about animals at least.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Would it be better to find them GOOD home? I agree that they will not have the skills to be outside. I don't know what your fence is like, but cats usually can get out of any yard. My cat started living in the basement when our toddler would not stop going after her. We found her a good, loving home........... friends of ours with no kids. She was happy there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Given your added info. it's not horrible, since they have claws. The thing is you CAN change the litterbox. You just need to wear disposable gloves and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Cats can be trained to not scratch the furniture using aluminum foil for a few days. But whatever you think is best. Don't be too surprised if they run off. Fences aren't enough to keep them in. They are agile climbers and can fit through any opening that their whiskers can clear. I really don't see a need to make your "loved" pets permanent outdoor pets. Especially on cold rainy nights. There's a better compromise here. And really adjusting them to a new baby is quite easy too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think making indoor cats outdoor cats is wrong. As steph said, they don't have the skills to be good outdoor cats because they have't learned them. Many of them are dependent on kibble as a main source of food and now their main source of food will be whatever ever they find outside. Hope they can learn to kill mice and learn to adapt in finding food outside because if they don't, they will starve. It would have been better to take the cats to a shelter where they could have been adopted by some one else.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• So my last answer will probably get negged but I was typing it as you were making a reply. You didn't say that they would be in a yard, not that that will keep them inside. Though if you keep food out there, maybe that will be better. No, you can't change the litter box but your husband can even if he works 14 hours a day.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Seems you value your couches more than your pets. Find them a good home. Pregnant is no reason to relocate cats either. I have had 2 children with cats in the house, and never had the first problem. Well other than my children absolutely adore animals.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Just wanted to ask one thing...the cats are spayed/neutered right?? Don't want to add to the feral cat population. Lord knows there's enough of them running around. Don't want yours to end up preggers either assuming they are females. I don't know maybe they are both male, but still. So long as they are fixed and have claws.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No, I think cats do better outside anyway.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Fenced in back yard, water Fountain, and dry and wet food... I can't clean out the litter box because I am pregnant, and Dh works 14+ hours a day!
    PS. I have had these cats for 3+ years! Thanks for telling me I don't care about my animals.
    smokisses

Comment by smokisses (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010