would you let your kindergarten child ride the bus?

my son starts this year and he is so excited. He as been looking forward to riding that big yellow bus all his life. I've always told him when he starts school he can ride it. Well, he is starting school and i don't want to let him =( The school isnt very far away at all i am just so nervous. Any ideas of what would help me get over being so nervous? Would you even let your child ride?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in

• the bus was my sons favorite part of school in the beginning! i don't understand what it is, but by the age of 2, my kids are all fascinated by that big yellow school bus. i would not deny them that : )
    my son's principal told us before school even started that if they were going to bus it, then don't even drive them on that first day : )
    don't worry mama! i am sure your son will be fine!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you aren't 100% comfortable with it, maybe you could take him to school the first couple of weeks and then try it out with the bus one day and see how it goes. My daughter is never going to ride the bus though because I'm a stay-at-home mom so I'll take her to school in the morning and then pick her up in the afternoon. At least until she starts driving. Plus the school is like 5 minutes from our house. I think that would be easiest for us.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I did let my child ride the bus. I wish I had ridden it with hime the first couple of days. The school allowed this and I didn't even know it. Call the school and tell them you'd like to do this. Plenty of moms drive their kids to school, but kids make friends on the bus too. I loved riding the bus............fun.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Both my girls rode the bus when they went to Kindergarten, they loved it... We didnt live far from the school, so on some days I would walk them to school or walk and pick them up... I wanted them to get used to the bus , because its not always possible to pick them up everyday... This way they got used to riding the bus and the bus driver got used to seeing them and where they get off.. It was always a special thing, walking to school or walking home....
    my4pinkroses

Answer by my4pinkroses at 7:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No way. we had a case here not too long ago where a child was forgotten on the bus and spent the night alone in it while parked in the garage. It's very scary to me. I like to see my little ones WALK into school to make sure they are safe.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• NO
    Seriously868

Answer by Seriously868 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends on how long they had to ride it. My girls did but they were the 3rd ones off the bus and were home in 10 minutes.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 8:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The school is only 5 minutes away..if that. I could drive him every day if i wanted. I'm thinking maybe letting him take the bus to school and picking him up in the after noons. I would just be so afraid he would get lost
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my son rode the bus when he was in kindergarten but then started having problems with one of the other kids on the bus so i started driving him to school which wasn't that far from home. now he's in middle school he rides the bus again....no problems so far.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, I plan to. We live about one or 1 1/2 miles from school, but my husband leaves for work before she'll need to be there and gets home after school's out and that's just too far to walk twice daily for me.
    But she's rode the bus before for preschool for the last two years. I have no problem with it. I may be though because the first two years of bus riding was done on the little bus and now she's going to the big one so it's like I'm taking baby bus steps. :-)
    The schools are really good about keeping track of the little ones. Here, the kids wear a colored vest and they get on the bus with the matching color on the door. All the kindergartners wear a vest.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010