Spaghetti carbonara, anyone?

Do you put cream in your carbonara? What herbs, if any, do you use?

Melissa15

Asked by Melissa15 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I start with bacon because, hello, pancetta gets expensive! Then I mix 3 whole eggs, plus one egg yolk, a splash of cream, salt and pepper for the sauce, and temper it with some hot pasta water. Into the bacon grease, I chop up 2-3 cloves of garlic, then deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine. Put the cooked pasta in the pan, swirl it around to coat all the pasta with oil, add the egg mix, turn off the heat, add a handful of freshly grated parmesan and stir. I throw the crumbled bacon on top with a little extra cheese and some fresh chopped parsley, although basil or tarragon would add an interesting kick.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have relatives who make it and I believe it is eggs and cheese, no cream. Google it and see what recipes with cream are out there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I love to look things up and I googled carbonara. Just for interest and fun..............Cream is not common in Italian recipes, but is used in the United States, France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Australia and Russia (especially in Moscow)
    Eggs, cheese, bacon, and pepper.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes I put a tiny bit in with the egg beaters. I also use parsley.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Cream is not traditional, nor is bacon! it's pancetta...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have never thought about making this dish, but I think I am going to try!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't use cream...I use the pasta water...and I use parsley
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010