How to get kitty to use litter box

We just got a kitten. He came from a litter of barn cats. My DH cousin and his gf had them. The gf handled them often to get them used t people and to keep them tame. Well he is really skittish right now. He comes to us and everything but sometimes if we are walking around he gets scared and runs and hides. Also he has not used the litter box yet. I have taught cats that didn't know how before and it has always been easy. I would just put them in the litter box and make them paw at the litter. He doesn't want anything to do with it though. Any tips?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• I have no idea. I wish I could be of more help. We just got a kitten about two weeks ago and this is our first time being cat owners. We just stuck him in the litter box and he automatically knew what to do.. thankfully. lol. Good luck!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Just keep on putting him in the cat litter box. Eventually he'll get used to it.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 1st kitten Baby Kitty was a farm kitten, although she took the the box right away. If yours is used to going outside maybe sprinkle some dirt over the top of the litter? And then as he/she gets used to it cut back till it is only litter. It could be he does not like the type of box (covered or not) the location of the box , or possibly the type of litter. What about trying different kinds of litter-- maybe shredded paper, or some pet stores have pine litter.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• ok this is what we did and she learned in a couple days ..
    dh would place her in the tray quite frequently to get her used 2 it at 1st .. when she did go poop he picked it up and put it in her tray and put her in 2 .. then he gently took her paw and scraped at the litter in the tray .. he did this lots of times and within a couple of days all clean .. and we had no accidents since
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Put him in a small room, like a bathroom, with a litter box, food and water. Sometimes having too much space can overwhelm kitty. This will also help him get used to people faster.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• sorry i didnt read your question fully
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You have to keep putting him in the box. After kitty has eaten, go in the bathroom with kitty, and it may take awhile. Sit in there with kitty and the litter box, watch kitty carefully, if it seems kitty is about to go you have to intrervene and put kitty in the litter box. After the first few times of going kitty will catch on.

GL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• DD got him to go earlier. YAY!
    Shaylyn318

Comment by Shaylyn318 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Try a lower box and a non clay natural litter.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010