How old was your child when he/she became interested in learning the ABC's and numbers?

My daughter will be 2 in August and I've been trying to work with her on learning a few of her ABC's and a few numbers... but she just isn't interested. I mean, I'm not trying to get her to learn the entire alphabet.. I mean just like A, B, C, D and 1, 2, 3. Just wondering!

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest son was still in a walker when I did flash cards with the alphabet on them. He loved it, and knew every letter by sight once he was 2. My other 4 kids were about 3. They become little sponges around 2-3. Give her time, she will get there, oh and make it FUN, that is the key.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• around 1 year he would try. I would always sing it to him and he would say "abc"..and mouth the rest but wouldnt say it all..he has always been interested though and he has always loved counting from that age too. Don't make it about learning, make it something fun.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Mine were both around 2.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would say around a year...just 1 2 3 and A B C....and then expand from there. Singing is a good way to get them to learn it. DD knew the whole alphabet, singing and not singing by 2 because I started at 1, and she knew how to count to 10 by then.....
    the more you work with your kiddos, the more they're going to catch on!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 23 months and knows her numbers up to 13 she misses a couple numbers here and there and sometimes she says them out of order but I hear her counting all the time. Every time we go up stairs I walk her up and count each stair that how she knows up to 13. ABCs on the other hand she doesnt seem very interested but Im not in any rush.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my daughter just turned 2. She can count to 15 and knows SOME of her ABC's. She not interesting in learning to READ them, but she knows them.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I sing the ABC's to her and numbers. I work with her for about an hour or two a day just with singing, reading and attempting the ABC's and numbers. We even have the magnets that go on the fridge that she loves to play with, but when it comes to singing them with me or repeating or whatever, she won't. I just find it so weird because she knows so many other things. She can point to almost every single part of her body when you ask her where it is. And she's constantly picking up different objects asking, "what's that?" and then repeats it. But she won't do it with numbers and the alphabet.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Try other things besides singing. It can become repetitve if you are doing it an hour a day. It needs to be fun for her.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we use blocks and tshirts
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My ds will be 3 in august and he just started showing interest. He has been able to recognize numbers for a while, but he's just becoming interested in the alphabet. His brother (8) could count to 20, knew all his shapes and colors and his alphabet. He was also able to read. I feel kind of slack with Zach! But he just doesn't show the interest in learning his brother did. He's more interested in tractors and guitars! lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010