When should I start to discourage the hand to mouth behavior?

This a little early my son is only 9 1/2 months old but like to be a step ahead if possible...lol...thank you to all who answer!

JenniferQ24

Asked by JenniferQ24 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah, you don't discourage it unless he is picking up poop or a bug or something dangerous...then, you only comment that the thing in particular is yucky. Babies only way of discovery is to mouth things. So, you don't discourage it....they will outgrow it fairly early on unless they have a tactile issue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What is the hand to mouth behavior? 9 1/2 month olds don't do anything intentionally that would be inappropriate though. As an infant they are only trying to get their needs met and learning to console themselves. I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you are talking about the behavior where they put things in their mouth to learn about them, then never. As they get older, they will gradually learn other methods of discovery, but for a while they do a lot of things orally.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• At this age you should just basically leave them alone. but that is just my opinion. I never had thumb suckers or anything. My oldest would suck on her arm when she was sleepy but she outgrew that by around the age of 2. My youngest suckers on two of her fingers when she is sleepy but she doesn't do that too much and when she does it it is when she is in bed. So I don't worry about it.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 9:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't understand the question?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Where a baby picks something up off the ground and immediately put it in their mouth. I know it is there way of discovering things and I dont care that he does it. I was just curious if there was time when I should start to discourage it. But from one of the answers I see that he will grow out of it. Thank you!
    JenniferQ24

Comment by JenniferQ24 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010