Should I get a dog this old?

My friend has a 6 year old cocker spaniel she needs to rehome, and I've been thinking about getting a dog for a few months now. I orginally wanted a puppy, but the more I think about it, getting an older dog might be a better fit for me. What can I expect if I decide to take him?

jillisue808

Asked by jillisue808 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• it all depends on you, there is pros and cons to both puppy and older dog...

i would not get an older dog if i had young children who are going to pull and climb on it, you never know how the dogs temperment with them woud be.
    older children shouldnt be a problem...
    older dogs are already trained and usually easier

puppies you train the way you want, but they are ALOT of work lol

joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 10:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i would find out if the dog has any medical conditions (heart worms, etc...). is the dog kid friendly? potty trained? will you have time to walk the dog daily and play with him? is he up to date on shots? just some things to consider......

6 years isn't really that old. dogs can live a long time.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He is not that old. Dogs can live up to 18 ish. I agree about making sure he is not sick and is potty trained. (But there is always Dog Training School) Doggies make really great friends and provide lots of stress relief. Great way to get out of the house and get some exercise and meet people. Read up on his breed.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It all depends on the dog...if it is well trained and has a nice personality...then I would go for it.

If it is NOT potty trained I would be turned off immediately..b/c it can be much harder to train a dog that is older.

Puppies are cute, but they sure do make a lot of messes and have that whole hyper stage to go through, it could be a great thing for your family!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would just take it slow.. Introduce him to your family on his turf. Then bring him to your house for a visit, let him get to know the surroundings. I would also ask if they have recent vet checkups, vacs, etc... Ask for papers, or the number of the vet so you can get an update on him. Do your research, if all checks out then I don't see why you shouldn't. We have 2 rescue dogs that we got when they were around 4 yrs old and they are great with our family, children etc.. Good for you for considering taking him into your home.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with adopting an older dog. I rarely adopt puppies and tend to stick with the older dogs because they get over looked way to often. The older dogs tend to be housebroken and out of the chewing phase. Many of them are excellant with children so I would not let that deter you. We adopted an Aussie 6 years ago that was 8 years old. My daughter was 8 months at the time and he was wonderful with her as well as other children. He has passed on but he was my daughters best friend as well as mine. That is the only down side to adopting the older guys is that you don't have as many years with them but it is so worth it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends, we have had great luck nwith the older dogs we rescued. Our little dog who is 3 we got from a friend. Come to find out he likes to poo and potty on my floors. GRRRRRRR........

Anyway, you need to ask why she is giving the dog away. I see all the time great dog to get rid of. Hmmm, then if the dog is so great why are you not keeping them. I can totally understand if it's financial or an allergy.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 6 is not old at all!! I adopted my pom at 9 years old. I also have a cocker spaniel and they can live 16 years plus.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 6 years old isn't terribly old. Older dogs have a lot of plusses such as already being potty trained, knowing their manners etc. They also dont have that puppy exuberance to chew and eat everything in sight! LOL I'd say you'd probably have at least a good 7-8 years left with it which is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't expect any age related issues to crop up for at least another 3-4 years (like stiff joints etc) More importantly, you'd be giving a good solid dog a great home and that is priceless.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'd go with personality and if it fits your family. I take in old dogs and most are great. Kids can hurt old or young dogs so that's something to deal with anyways. Old and young can mess on the floors, you have to be the one getting them out on time or having them on a schedule for meals to control when they poo. Most don't come and ask to be let out but some can learn if you work doing your part...a doggy door is a great idea for that. Don't just look at the Cocker as an option either. If you want to look into a family dog, look everywhere. Male dogs may mark at first even if they never do before. It's all about smell and your home is a new smell he wants to make his own...get him a "belly band" to help out and keep the urine from going all over the place...walk him alot at first so he can mark up the sidewalks instead of your home...just expect him to make mistakes. Plan on how you'll deal with them ahead of time.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2010