My daughter is 3 and act like she is 10 and misbehaves like she is 10. What do I do for discipline?

My daughter is 3 and has began to argue and scream at me when I ma telling her NO or telling her something she needs to do. She yells at me and when I try to correct that behavior she gets of track of what I was disciplining first. I don't want to punish her all day but I do want respect. Example: 4th of July we go out to see fireworks and there are children around us so I let her join them in grass in the middle of the parents blankets. (we didn't know any of the people) she kept going behind a thing where I couldn't see her so I told her once I can't see you stay in the middle, second time I said again stay in the middle or else you WILL join me on the blanket and not play. Third time I said come join me for 5 min for time out. She Yelled and screamed bloody murder in front of my blanket for 5 to 10 min. So I let her stand there as time out. Later she didn't do it again but I don't think time out should be so hard. Suggesti

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she didn't do the behavior again then technically the punishment worked... you could try giving extra punishments for her tantrums (ex. you have to stay 1 min in time out for not listening and 2 min in time out for throwing a tantrum) and ignore her if she screams about it. I've always said that toddlers are just like teenagers, they are trying to be big kids and babies at the same time and feel torn between independence and security. Just be consistent and eventually you'll get the desired outcome.
    I think punishments are just hard- it really is harder on the parent than it is on the kid- but its worth it to develop their character :)
    Keep up the good work!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Stop giving so many warnings. She obviously knows what type of behaviour is expected of her. She gets warned once and told the consequences of doing it again. The next time, she gets the punishment. She is acting out longer because she knows that she can push you over and over again. Put your foot in her butt the first time (not literally) and she will learn that mom is not a push over.

also, if it takes 2 or 3 days of punishments all day, at least she knows that mom will not back down. She is 3 and is trying to find out her boundaries with you. Be consistent and in charge. Don't let small things slide or it will only build up to something bigger.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I really gave 2 warnings because the other kids were a little older and influencing her. But dinner time is about the same because I don't want her not to eat due to punishment because it's hard to get her to eat but her table demeanor is bad, partially my fault cause we haven't been eating at the dinner table but trying to get back to that. But keep the ideas coming I feel like her head is so hard and she's not getting it.
    amommy2a2yrold

Comment by amommy2a2yrold (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When she misbehaves, remove her from the situation. If it would have been my daughter, we would have packed up and left the fireworks. She is showing this behavior because YOU are allowing it.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• be firm! don't punish one time and then let it slide the next. I have learnt that with my 3yr old I have to be consistant or ir does no good for her or I. I know sometimes she catches me in the middle of me doing something and it stinks to have to stop what I am doing to take care of her attitude but it is better than not reacting.
    l0v3myg1rl5

Answer by l0v3myg1rl5 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would look into her diet. Food coloring and High fructose Corn Syrup can REALLY effect children's behavior.
    widespreadpanic

Answer by widespreadpanic at 11:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• well something from teaching comes to mind... maybe try really hard to praise publicly and punish/ correct the kid quietly. maybe she was just acting up but maybe she was angry with being publicly corrected in front of older peers, my son is 4 but doesnt recognise that some kids are older and hense allowed to do more. you should have a rule that screaming isnt allowed if it has become an issue and she shouldnt get warning for it once it is talked about with her.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010