Yes, I have a PIT BULL DOG (GASP)

I wrote a Q&A asking about my cats, and I got this inserted in an answer: U should be ashamed of uself, keeping a dog thats known hurt children and people...Well, I must ask you: Did you know that German Shepherds andYellow Labs bite people just as much.Also, the little ankle biters (which is how they got their names!),and Dobermans, and Dalmations, and other dogs, I'm sure! But, this I swear, I've had more full blooded dogs (labs) bite my pit bull than my dogs ever bit anything! He lives with cats! He licks them, they rub on him, they play.
I trust my pit bully 100% with my future child, not saying I'm going to go grocery shopping and leave the baby alone with dog babysitting! I'm saying my dog would never bite/attack/fight anything or anyone, like I said, there's proof: my cats and the other dogs biting him and him just being a baby and letting the attacks happen, no snapping back...
Who's with me!? Who's against me?:)

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 10:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We raise both Pit and American Bull Dogs, we have 5 right now and they even come in our house with our 4 children. In years we have never had one single insodent where any of our dogs were violent in any way . I am fully with the statement its how the dog is raised not the breed. My neighbor had a dotson that had to be put down due to attacking there own child in the face, never have my bull dogs even growled at our children and our children climb all over them and play with them all of the time. I see nothing wrong with having a Bull Dog or any large breed dog, you get it from a very young pup and raise it right and any dog can be a good dog just as any dog can be a bad dog.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 12:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would be kinda with you, kinda against you. I have never seen a mean pitt bull. I have the same problem with all big dogs. Once they start attacking, they aren't going to just stop. I have a chihuahua. If he attacked anyone all they would have to do is kick him. He is tiny so it wouldn't be hard to get him off. A pitt bull, on the other hand, is big and strong. If, for some reason, he did attack someone, could you get him to stop?
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think all dogs are different. I think if you treat your dog with authority and dont' let your dog engage in that kind of behavior then you'll raise a dog that won't attack. No matter the breed, all dogs attack.3+
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you have a little too much of a careless attitude about your dog. I completely agree that any breed can bite. I think ALL dogs should be supervised when a small child is present, including yours.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I said that because its ridiculous for you to trust one pet over another- to throw out cats like there old Chinese food is wrong. Your dog is ur child, he is not?
    why is your cat's any different, dogs spread disease, dogs have fleas, and ticks, and other parasites. Only difference is a cat can't man handle your child in a fit of rage one day, that came totally out of the blue.
    It sounds to me like your using your pregnancy as an excuse to not clean littler boxes, when pregnant women do it all the time, buy gloves, or a kitty box liner and just toss the whole dang bag, no reason to throw ur cats outside and forget about them because your pregnant. pure excuses and laziness, FIND THEM A HOME, its not about the dog, it could have been any dog, its the fact that you choise to keep that kind of dog in your life, while tossing your other "children" out.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, but German Shelpards, Labs, and other dogs don't have bodies that are built to kill. Pitt bulls have exceptionally strong bodies and jaws that can lock on and not let go. Other dogs tend to bite, but pitbulls really don't stop until someone is dead or seriously mangled. I've seen three pit bulls act agressively in my life, all wiht good families, and un provoked. The first attacked my friend and her dog while we were out playing in her yard. It came from across teh street, having escaped my neighbors yard. It was a pampered well loved dog, but it killed my friends cocker spaniel and left her with 20 stitches in her leg. Then on a trip to the beach, while very pregnant. We walked past a family with a pitt. Out of nowhere it ran and growled at me and bared its teeth. Then a few months ago, in our front yard our neighbors have a pit who is very much loved. It came into our yard and started growlingat my kids(cont)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It had us backed into the back yard until his owner came for him. Mom said it was the second time that the dog had cornered her like that, for no reason. So you can see why I have no love for pitts...I will NEVER be convinced that they make great pets, i dont' care how "sweet" they are around you and your kids.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i have always had pits my whole life and i have one now and i have 2 kids 4 and 5 and they love her and she loves them . it is all how a DOG is raised if it is raised to be mean and bit then it will the same goes for any other kid of dog. my pit is so nice i wouldnt ask for a better dog
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Im with you :-)

Not all pitbulls are bad, its how you raise them. I want a doberman but im going to wait till I have the time to raise it right so it wont think its the boss.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am with you!!!! Good for you for sticking up for your dog. i had a pit chow and everyone was afraid of him. He never growled or bit anyone or anything. he was soooooooooo GENTLE with our entire family. i loved him and will miss him.
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010