Do you ever fear healthcare workers questioning your parenting abilities and/or how your child got injured?

We went in to get our twin boys checked out, because their colds had turned into nasty coughs. I was hesitant because they had bite marks all over their arms because they were just in that stage....and they bite each other A LOT. There's no getting around it.
Well, it happened that the boys were crawling around on the floor an one of them bumped his head on the corner of a chair leg in the waiting room. We went in and the nurse asked what had happened...and I had told her. She repeated me and said "this just happened?" and I said "yes, out in the waiting room crawling around" she insisted we get an ice pack etc I thought this was over reacting, but ok. (it was just a red mark, no bump or anything above his eye). As she proceeded to take vitals she saw another bruise on his forehead and proceeded to question me about that.....(he had bumped his head in the crib earlier in the week).
It just felt weird being questioned...

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's their JOB as a nurse to question injuries. I'm a pediatrics nurse and I would have asked all of the same questions... it's not so much that they we really question YOU as a parent... but we don't want to over look situations of possible abuse. Most of the bumps and bruises we see are easily explained away... but when a parent can't explain an injury (or multiple injuries) or tells an unlikely story it bring up a red flag to look into it further.
    Also, sometimes tons of falling and getting hurt in kids, depending on their age, is a sign something is going on with balance and things like that.
    So don't feel attacked by the questioning... just be happy to know someone else is looking out for the health of you child :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I get irritated by it too but, with so many babies being abuse I guess they have to be on the look out.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It does worry me sometimes, but it's not a big issue. I tell them the truth and they can choose to believe me or not. It's part of their job and I would rather have them ask than assume.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I get what your saying. We just moved and of course get a new pediatrician and she made us feel like crap cause our daughter is very thin. She has been in the 50% for weight all her short life and now she is in the 25%. But she eats like crazy and we never deny her food ever. She is just small! I hated that visit, we won't be going back. I miss our old pediatrician because she never did stuff like that. Every thing was fine and normal and kids weight flexuat. I am not going to start feeding my kid a bunch of crap just to meet some government standard of weight. She eats healthy and is a healthy weight for her. Its not her fault she has a fast metabolism.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 11:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• they do and they will question you but if u know u r doing a good job dont were but just always give them an answer as to what happened it will look bad if u dont know what happened
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No, I know exactly how you feel. Somebody at my sons school called DCS on me about my son who has autism (no a very balanced boy) he had a bruise on his neck. Turns out the bruise was in the shape of chain link. He had been resting his chin on the chain to the swings at school and twisting, so that when he stopped the swing would untwist swinging him around. Well the chain pinched his chin leaving a bruise. Icing on the cake IT HAPPENED AT SCHOOL!!!! They called DCS on me over something that happened at school on their watch! I was livid! So now I am constantly afraid every time one of the kids falls or gets some kind of mark. I hate how nervous I am now and it is so unfair that my life has been altered in this way.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think they are just always on the lookout...they can probably decipher between abuse and normal kid stuff very quickly!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I haven't had a kid yet, she's due in September, but I have had this experience while taking care of my grandmother. We took care of her for 4 years, and there were a lot if home health workers that came in. Some of them had the knack of making me feel like I was a complete idiot to making me feel like I was outright neglecting her. I had this one nurse who came in and reported to her boss that it appeared that I was neglecting my grandmother because her bedroom was a little cluttered. It was cluttered because my grandmother just took out ALL of the clothes in one of her dresser drawers, dumped them on the floor and stuffed all of the stuffed animals into said drawer. The supervisor said it didn't matter. cont...
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• it is not always just kid stuff and stuff happens all the time to kids at school and with babysitters and grandparents that u dont know about until after the fact and u as a parent if u dont know what happened and u get questioned they have all right to take ur kid even if it was with some one else i know the system is all screwed up
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, we get that too. Ki is very active, and also very clumsy! She manages to trip over her own feet even if they don't touch!
    Everytime we go to a doctor, they question her about the numerous bruises on her legs, the scrapes on her knees, the bruise that will usually be on her forehead, dog scratches on her arms. If you were looking in and not knowing her, you'd think she was abused! But, her puppy likes to run around her and play, and she gets a few scratches, she falls a lot and gets bruises and scrapes from it and from bumping into tables, chairs, doors, car side mirrors, you name it.
    I feel a little awkward being questioned about it, and having her questioned about it, even though I have no real reason to be. Paranoid I guess? :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2010