i feel stupid for asking this, but how do you follow a sewing pattern packet?

I was given many vintage sewing patterns. the ones in an envelope w/ instructions and tracing paper w/ the pattern. I'm a bit confused about what to do. How do I copy the pattern onto the fabric? do I cut out the tracing paper? Do I eye it? I dont want to ruin anything by cutting it up since many tips and measurements are printed along the pattern. Is the pattern on the tracing paper the exact size illustrated? Or could i make it slightly bigger/smaller?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• On the back of the envelope, there should be measurements for sizes. Take those and figure out what size you are. Then the pattern should have multiple cutting lines for different sizes. Trim your pattern to your size. Then lay out your pattern on the fabric per the layout instructions for your size and the width of your fabric. Pin the pieces in place. Now you are ready to cut.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• oh so it's meant to be cut up? there's so much writing on it I wouldnt want to ruin anything
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If there are instructions with the pattern,they will tell you how to put the pattern pieces on the material and how to cut it and which lines to use depending on the size you need.etc. The directions will tell you everything. I hope you have them. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2010