husband gone

My husband just got his CDL, Does anyone elses husband go over the road how long does it last how do you cope with them gone so much???

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 11:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I was married to an otr driver, it was hard! It takes a strong woman to be able to handle them being gone so much! I know he would call and we would fight about petty stuff! He'd hang up get back on the road and a half an hour later one of us would call the other to appologise! I would say it takes a ruff 6 months to get into the groove of them being gone so much! Call him as often as possible 2 or 3 times a day just to keep him updated on the goings on at home, have him call every night to say good night to the kids. Text him out of the blue with a simple I love you or thanks for all you do, things like that seem to keep the otr drivers happy, and make their days a little easier, and who knows maybe he will send you some of the same type of messages which will in turn make your day better. Hugs to you, pm me if you need to talk!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 11:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My husband works in Africa, I live in Nebraska.. He was also a truck driver for a time.. My husband is away for 5 weeks at a time, then is home for 5 weeks.. If you love your husband, trust your husband, and your husband enjoys his job, then it's quite simple.. You put your big girl boots on, support him and toughen up.. I'm not saying you are weak or won't be able to handle it, but I am saying that it's not easy.. Not everyone can handle a relationship when they are apart often, or for long periods of time.. There are adjustments.. I had to learn how to depend on myself more, I had to get over being selfish about my husband.. The hardest part was not constantly nagging him about how much it sucked that he was away.. It is hard on him also.. But there is an upside.. because he is away, I apreciate him SO much more..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• (continued) We have not had an argument in 5 years, and I love him even more today because I treasure every moment that I do have with him.. Hit me up sometime if ya wanna talk..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 3:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i count down the days until he comes back home and i focus more on myself and the kids so i dont get sad too much
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010