unfit to babysit?

I think that some of my family is unfit to babysit my girls and my husband argues with me. I don't drink and this family member sees nothing wrong with over drinking and partying infront of their kids but I just don't agree with it so what do I do? They keep volunteering to take the girls off my hands for a few hours but I don't want my girls to see those actions?

l0v3myg1rl5

Asked by l0v3myg1rl5 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just keep telling them no. They'll hopefully get the hint. I have the same problem with some of my own family members. I can't really tell them I see them as unfit to watch a fly, much less my kid and still keep the peace. So, I just tell them "no thanks" and move on.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I feel the same way about my SIL. She offers to take my DD all the time, but to be honest, I don't think she can handle her own, let alone mine at the same time. It really scares me.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• dont let them watch them if you dont like how they parent their kids.

How old are your children? Do you really think theyll get drunk with your kid in their care?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Voice your concerns to the person that is babysitting. Let them know that you will let them take your children for a little while, but there is to be no drinking in front of your children. They should respect your wishes as a fellow parent.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I totally agree with you. I don't drink either & I have two girls & after I put them to bed at night..my guy and I will go sit on the back porch and relax. I always see people partying and being obnoxiously drunk at the neighbors house pretty late at night.. sometimes til 4 in the morning and there are two females there that have children I know of & either they are there every night, drunk, without their children or they are there, drunk with their children. The youngest two are aged 1 1/2 and 3. It's ridiculous!

So..I definitely wouldn't want my kids around people like that! Stay strong and stand up for what you believe! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why not talk to them instead. Just explain that these are the things I expect, No drinking, parties while yours are present. If they cannot agree to that, then let them know that you will not be leaving your babies with them. It's really not up to your husband as a mom's ultimate priority is their children and their welfare.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Feel free to continue saying no.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I sort of deal with that with my inlaws. I dont trust them, for a multitude of reasons. And my dh doesnt see the big deal in it.

I have just always kept them close and been an overbearing momma bear in front of them. I am really not that overprotective but they think I am a nut...lol.

They dont even bother asking anymore, which is good for me!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What kind of drinking are you talking about?Are they DRUNK? I would say a drunk person shouldn't babsit. But if they are just having a glass of wine or a beer? Then it wouldn't be such a bad thing. If they offer, why not take them up on their offer if for only a couple of hours. Heck if drinking in front of little kids was that bad, I wouldn't have been allowed to have kids,I guess. I have a glass of wine with dinner. My kids are adults now , happy healthy college graduates with families of theor own but I did sip a little wine or a beer in front of them. :-)
    I guess we just need to have something made a little more clear from you about the "drinking and partying" thing .....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would tell them No and Why. Maybe you might set an example for them
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010