size charts are different from years ago....I have a sewing question!

ok so I hear how the sizes, in let's say the 70's are different than today? so does that mean a size 14 by todays standards was a different size back then? Are there any comparison charts out there? If I create something considered "size 14" and the pattern is from the 1960's, will it be a size 14 by todays standards? I hope my questions make sense lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Check the measurements that go with the sizes. Don't worry about the size but instead use your current body measurements--bust, hip, etc.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Your pattern envelope will have actual measurements on that. Use those rather than the sizes...sizes are often inaccurate no matter what the era. My mom was a professional designer before I was born, and never went by the size on a package. She looked at the measurements. So her sizes could range from a four to an eight, depending on the pattern maker.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you should measure yourself and base it off your measurements, what size of pattern you'll need.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Agree with gdiamante. I always go by the person's body measurements. You could contact some of the pattern companies online and ask what body measurements were used in the past or try Google.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No, they are not. Not even close. Not even from 10 years ago!!!

I have a lot of vintage patterns (I collect them). A size 12 from the 50's-60's is a so 6-8 today!! You should NEVER size a pattern based on the sizing given on the package. Patterns are made to be tailored. Measure yourself, or have someone else help, and cut the pattern to your dimensions. That might mean cutting portions of it in completely different sizes and blending them together. (I have to cut the waist & rib cage much smaller, but the hips/shoulders much larger- If I were to cut the pattern according to size, it would not fit!!)
    to give you an idea, I am a sz 6- but I will buy a sz 12 Vintage pattern.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010