Attitude in 7yr. old girl

Need some suggestions here ladies, my oldest and I are not jiving right now. I don't know if it's an attention thing,or what but every time I ask her to do something, (I ask, don't tell) her to do something, she literally ignores me unless I get in her face then she just stares at me. Finally I get her attention, then that smart mouth opens up and attitude comes out. What to do before this gets out of hand. All I hear is that's not fair.....

ShelbysHope

Asked by ShelbysHope at 11:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Fair or not, you're the boss. List all the things you do for her -- include everything, laundry, cooking, working, driving, buying clothes and toys, then say everyone has to help out. I think she needs to help out more to get rid of the attitude.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We've started a chore chart for my 7-year-old daughter. She seems to argue less when she has a set list of things she knows she has to do. One of her chores/responsibilities is to have a good attitude. I still get ignored, but her attitude is improving.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Get a handle on her right now or it will only get worse. When my daughter started with the sassy mouth, I took away her phone. When she rolled her eyes, I took away her television. When she refused to do something I asked her to do, I would refuse the next thing she asked me to do. Do NOT tolerate sassy behavior. You are the mom and YOU are in charge. Let her know that she will do what she is told to do and that you will not tolerate any attitude. If she gets an attitude, she gets grounded - period. I let it go too long before I got fed up and believe me, it gets much worse when the teenage years hit. Fair is a child who does what she is told - when she says "it's not fair!", you come back with the fact that it's not fair that she is not doing what she is told without a nasty attitude. You might try working out some "fair" rules... i.e. she does her chores and you let her have extra t.v. or phone time.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why do you ask not tell?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am trying to be polite and ask her, I guess it's more me, I would rather you ask me, but don't tell me or I won't do...But, yes I need to get a handle on her before it gets out of hand. I will start doing what you suggest neebug and see how that changes. I hate having to keep saying go tell your Daddy and see what he says, then she goes, well he'll say the same thing as you. SO she knows we stand firm with each other, so that does help...Time to revoke some priviliges
    ShelbysHope

Comment by ShelbysHope (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a five year old and we did a chore chart related to allowance. Along with the jobs are stipulations/assumptions that 1) You get told once. If you're told twice, you get a quarter taken away. 2) No whining. The job simply gets done. If there's a hint of whining, a quarter is taken away.

Also, take her on a date. During the date, while she's not being a pill hopefully, discuss mutual respect.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• ha ha sounds like my 4 yr old daughter and 6 yr old son the only thing i can tell you is they don't like me very much right now because everytime they smartmouth me they have to go get 1 favorite toy and give it to me for a certain amount of time depending on how bad they mouth me it could be an hour to a day
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Spank her. That's what I do when my kids give me an attitude. And you should tell her to do something not ask. YOU are the parent NOT her! Don't let her dictate what will happen.

That's what works in my family anyway.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 7:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 8, and her little attitude started when she got into a new school (which she is not going to attend this upcoming year!). I agree...you just can't tolerate the behavior-it WILL get worse as she gets older unless you curb it NOW. Ignore the eye rolling and hissy fits and keep your ground on whatever instruction you gave her...she needs to learn that her funky behavior can't even get your attention. Keep your composure stand your ground...'keep walking to your room', 'just put that away', 'I said not tonight'...repeat your instructions calmly over and over again. & like PPs said, keep up with the structure and rules...she will get the hint - & don't forget to reward her good behavior with good attention...that works at every age.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010