I have a 3 year old boy and I am trying to get him to use the potty anybody have any tips that worked for you

sarahmcdaniel

Asked by sarahmcdaniel at 11:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you at least tried putting him on the potty? like introduced him to it? get a timer, set it for every hour. every time it goes off, make a big deal that it's 'potty time!!', if he doesn't go, then set it for every half hour until he does go. read books, sing songs, ect while he's sitting on the potty. it will be frustrating, he may sit on the potty, then not even 2 minutes after he's off of it go on himself, but that's what resolve is for lol. that thing was glued to my hand and my best friend the week i was potty training my son. DON'T use pull ups, only when he's asleep. use underwear, if you want let him pick out the undies himself. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Put him in underwear and take away pullups and diapers.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I did what andrea96 said. It worked. He did have accidents for a week or so, but after that he got it!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You can be encouraging, but he won't do it until he's ready. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I took away the diapers and pulls ups like andrea96 mentions. I also watched him closely for signs he had to go and would run him into the bathroom and have him sit on the toilet. We had a couple of accidents but eventually he understood that if he didn't go on the potty chair he was going to wet himself. I also put up a piece of poster board near the bathroom and when we went in the potty chair or toilet he got to pick out a sticker to put on the poster board. He loved that and it seemed to be all the positive re-enforcement he needed.
    seahaole

Answer by seahaole at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you put him in underwear and your gonna be cleaning up alot of pee take him out back and tell him to hit the tree or the rock make it a game than go inside and put cherrios in the toilet and tell him to hit them its not going to happen over night so dont get frustrared with him i taught my son to pee outside first than took it indoors theres that man nature bond in them from birth on i swear
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010