Sippy cup Drama!

I've got 17 month old twin boys and they won't drink out of a sippy cup. I've tried every single kind I can find. All they do is play with them. I offer them at every single meal and during the day, but they won't drink. Any ideas how to get them to drink out of the cup? They will drink out of my glass if I allow them to. I want to get rid of the bottles, but am afraid to because they won't drink out of any of the cups I've bought.

Peregrine

Asked by Peregrine at 11:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why do they need a sippy cup? If they will use a regular cup then its better for them anyway.... You can always get a fun sports bottle for the car and/or outings, but keep encouraging a regular cup at home.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would stick with one type of sippy cup and keep trying at every meal until they just get use to it. Maybe you should just try to take away the bottle for a day and see what happens. Dont be scared to take away the bottle thats probably the way your going to have to do it!!
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've got twin 18 month old boys and they like the playtex spill proof sippy cups. I had to teach them when they were a year how to suck on them, by having them watch me "pretend" to suck on them.....They eventually got the hang of it.
    I'd say if you've tried your weight in sippy cups, then just let them drink from regular cups...Good luck! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My youngest never used one. He went right to a real cup at that age. Just put about an inch of liquid in there and only give it to them in the kitchen.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why do you need to switch to a sippy cup? If they drink out of your glass then you probably should skip the sippy cup. Get a few plastic cups in a kid size and just start introducing them. They'll get the hang of it quick enough. It'll be better for you in the long run anyhow for them to drink out of cups.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why not try a straw cup. By that age they should be able to suck from a straw. MY 13 month old loves her straw cups!
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• if they use a regular cup let them at home, and then try a coffee cup type cup for car rides or out in public if you are worried. or you could try straws.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• They need to get used to drinking out of the sippy cup since they re used to holding a bottle. The problem I found with my babies is them trying to regulate the flow of liquid out of the cup. They got frustrated and the cup spirted all over the place. You just have to help them and show them how to hold the cup the right way for getting the liquid in their mouths. Eventually they will catch on.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son loves the sippy cups with the straws.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I stopped the bottle cold turkey. They might not take sippy cups because they know the bottles are still around. Have you tried the sippy cups with straws? They might like those. You'll have to watch them because they spill a bit more easily, but maybe they'd enjoy them. Have them watch you drnk from a straw and they might think "hey! we can do that too." Kids are funny that way.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2010