Can I teach my baby to roll over?

My baby is 5 months and 1 day old and he doesn't roll over yet. I know every baby learns at their own pace but it seems like everyone's 5 month old is rolling over. Are there any tricks to try to entice him to roll over?

greeneyes_1821

Asked by greeneyes_1821 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my personal opinion I wouldn't try to teach a infant how to roll over. Just give it more time........
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 12:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I heard that they roll over if you give them tummy time. Lots of tummy time!! Put toys out of his reach because he will want to try to go for them. My husband and I try to show our daughter how to rollover, but she just thinks its funny that mommy and daddy are rolling. I guess it just takes time.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 12:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• He sounds normal to me, but you could try to help him along. Put him on his tummy and rattle a toy in front of him. Lift the toy so he follows it with his head, bring it around just to the edge of his vision and then help him roll to his back to keep the toy in his line of sight. Repeat this for a few minutes a few times a day and I bet he gets the idea. Good Luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• My husband and I try to show our daughter how to rollover, but she just thinks its funny that mommy and daddy are rolling. I guess it just takes time. --------LOL . . . Dodie702 . . that is so cute. I'm just imagining two grown adults rolling on the floor to show their baby how to do it!!! So sweet!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• My son is 6 months and still only rolls over when I give him a little help. He is starting to understand that he can do it himself, he did it twice on his own yesturday. So dont worry. They do everything in their own time!

Shellmybells

Answer by Shellmybells at 5:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• My son rolled from front to back at 2 months and 2days old, but after he started crawling at 5 months he still didn' roll over from back to front. One day while wiping him down with a wippy i was tickling his under arms and he rolled from back to front laughing, and he hasn't stopped since.
    HesMyLife22508

Answer by HesMyLife22508 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008