Honestly- does anyone else put their baby to bed with a baba?

I know it's wrong, and the risks, but it was the only way to get my baby to sleep and it became a habit. I've tried weaning it out, replacing with water, has not worked, and I know I just need to do it. My mother knows how worried I've been about it, she actually started it, and she tells me how both of her kids went to sleep with a bottle and their teeth turned out fine- which they did, and that in past generations everyone did that and had no problems with bottle rot and everything they warn you about today. I'm too embarrassed to actually ask anyone this because I don't want to get bashed- I know it's wrong, but I just haven't had the guts to cut it off yet, and I feel guilty about it. Did anyone here do this and did their child have dental issues because of it? He has 1 front tooth that is a little discolored, but it has been ever since it came in, and he was on antibiotics at 2 months so I'm told it could be due to that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I did, so I know how hard it is to get rid of the darn thing. Depending on how old he is changes how I would go about getting him away from it. Also it depends on what your bedtime routine is.
    My kids never took bottles, but they took sippy cups to bed.
    I rocked and held my kids to sleep for a long time, so when it was time to get rid of the sippy I just filled it with water. My kids of course cried, but I rocked them and sang to them and soothed them the best I could. It is really hard for the first week. Anytime they would wake up and want the sippy I would do the same thing. That first week sucked! But after that it was done and there wasn't anymore trouble with it.
    I didn't feel too bad about it because they did have a drink if they wanted one and I was holding them and comforting them.
    Good luck! I know it is hard, but be strong.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I used to he doesn't use a bottle anymore now he takes a sippy to bed with him.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How old is he?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No, we never did and we wouldn't with the one we're expecting either.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We give our son milk in a sippy to drink before he goes to bed but we dont let him drink it in bed
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Honestly, I cut my kids cold turkey from it, and it was from a sippy cup in bed. It won't rest in their mouths and they usually chuck it over the side of the crib anyway...lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Could a pacifier be substituted? One of my friends has three pacifiers in the crib and the child goes from one to the other. (12 months)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I did. It was the only way they would go to sleep. When my son was 2 we switched him to water in his bottle. They have now all outgrown it and their teeth are fine. You do what you have to. My daughter's tooth was a little discolored, I was not sure what it was from, could have been the bottle. But she lost it when she was 5. Her adult teeth are perfect.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• nope, it can cause major tooth decay
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes I did. I tied a binky, I tried a sippy cup, I tried cold turkey. It didnt work. They only thing I could do was let them have their baba, I'd either sit or stand next to them and as soon as I saw those eyes close I pulled that bottle and switched it with a binky. I have no idea why they wouldnt just take the binky to begin with. None of my boys had or have tooth decay. I even told their ped. He said he understood why.

Try waiting and switching it out. GL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010