potty training set back??

My son has been doing great with his potty training. We have been going strong for 2 weeks now, and I was taking him every 30-45 minutes and he would go willingly. Now I have started to let him tell me, and he does, but he wont let me take him. He says pee pee and looks like he needs to go, then i ask do you need to pee pee? and he says no. If I try to take him he freaks out. Then he does it again in 2 minutes, then after so long of him doing this he ends up screaming because he has to go but wont let me take him, then he has an accident. What should I do? I don't want it to be a struggle in the bathroom, it should be fun and a good thing, and he knows what he needs to do. I'm starting to get frustrated becaue he ends up throwing a tantrum because he has to go but wont let me take him and he cant hold it anymore. and he looks at me saying mom mom mom like asking for my help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 2 weeks of training, he still needs to be told not asked. At 3 years old and over 18 months of being trained, I still have to tell my daughter. If I ask if she needs to go, I will usually get a no and then 10 minutes later, she has an accident. It's because there are other things that are more interesting than to go potty.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He probably just needs a distraction... try taking a book and letting him go into the bathroom while you stand at the door and read to him.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• sounds like my son when we first started! he was doing so well when we took him by the clock, but after a while he was acting out as if I was forcing him, so I chilled out and let him tell me, which worked really well...then he regressed and just had accidents never telling me. I started taking him as a routine again, as well as ask him. The combo works well. No matter what method, you need to be consistant and take him based on his cues. Even if he says no! My son says no all the time and most of the time he really does have to go. I gave the bathroom a makeover. many of his books are in a basket, I bought a kid themed soap dispenser which he chose, I let him decorate his potty. During the day the potty is in the living room as a reminder. He likes watching his potty dvd while sitting on it lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• and remember it's only been 2 weeks! on average potty training can take months based on the childs willingness!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010