Do you let your children drive at 12?

Evidently one of my daughter's friends died on Monday.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100706/NEWS/7060316/-1/rss01

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I grew up on a farm; it's pretty normal for 12- or 13-year-olds to drive around the farm. I was driving a pickup to and from the fields by that age and my brother was plowing with a tractor by about that age, too. If I lived on a farm when my kids were that age, I might let them drive. It can be a huge help on a farm to have an extra driver or two. They are working and not running around goofing off; it's different.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's illegal to drive at 12, so why would I let my child drive at 12?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Heck no! That's illegal!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• That is WAY too young to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No way. We let my 15 year old move the cars in the driveway.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How horrible. Prayers to your DD and to all those that knew and loved her friend.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No. We're not even planning on allowing our children to drive at 15 (the legal age here).
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• not like, drive drive lol. but when i was 10 i lived in Louisiana for a while, my aunt and uncle would let me steer the wheel, they did the pedals. we lived out in the country, where the neighbors were about a half a mile away from each other, fields/woods in between, dirt roads, and they'd only let me do it from their house to 'mawmaw and pawpaw's' house, which was about a mile and a half away. they obviously had their hand on the bottom of the wheel as well, just in case. I let my son hold the wheel when he was 2, not steer it, but hold it, i did the steering, for about 200 feet lol. but actually drive? no way.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• no i would not let m kids drive at
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My children can drive at 14. The LEGAL age in Iowa, but of course they will have to study, get their permit, spend a number of hours in an empty parking lot, and then be allowed to drive DURING THE DAY with mom, dad, or grandparent. I suspect by 15 they will be allowed to drive with supervision at night and maybe get their school permit. I got mine at 15 and did just fine. Of course all I could do by myself was drive to and from school and school activities that I was involved in.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010