pooping in the potty

Any suggestions on helping my get my son to poop in the potty. He will pee but no poop yet, but he will tell me when he has gone. He usually goes early in the morning but he wont sit long on the potty to go and I don't want to force him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The time will come..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The only thing that has worked for my DD with potty training is rewarding her with a candy for going. I have a basket of books and toys in the bathroom that she can only have while she is on the potty, to keep her occupied while she goes. I put her up there, give her what she wants out of the basket and make her sit there until she goes (granted, it doesn't bother her to stay on, she knows if she goes she gets candy when she gets down! LOL).
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We used a book called Once Upon a Potty and whenever our daughter had to go, either my DH or I went in with her and read this little book. Many times, by the time we had finished the book, she had gone. It took the focus off the actual act and put it on the book. Potty training was a snap after that! There is a boy's version of the book (you can find it at Borders or Barnes & Noble) and it does explain the body's "potty parts" tastefully. Worked for us!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my son also doesnt poop in the potty. I was told pretty much to stalk. If your son hides to poop or he just ate and you can tell he's about to poop, race him to the potty. Or you could even put the potty in the living room so it's easy access. When my son has a poop accident, i scoop it up and dump it in the toilet. I take my son with me and show him "where poop goes". Do you have any potty dvd's or books? Ones with real kids talking about it can really encourage a learner.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• There are also Once Upon a Potty videos too - I heard about that when Bill Gates was talking on t.v. about how they used it to potty train their daughter.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We have a sticker chart right outside the bathroom and it is split into 2 sides the left is for pee and every 10 stickers he picks a litle dollar store toy the other side is for poop he gets to put a sticker when he poops and they are big flashy stickers and he gets a few m&m's for each sticker
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010