How much T.V. Is too much T.V.???

Now we watch t.v. all day long. It just keeps the kids from fighting all day and keeps my sanity.

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I would say more than a couple of hours of television is WAY too much for a middle aged child. Books and such are better alternatives in my opinion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i watched way too much TV as a kid...LOL. I'm normal & certainly appreciate the outdoors much more than i used to. I missed out on that when i was a kid. I think watching so much TV made me a lazy kid. But, once i got old enough & realized how much there was out there (and i was able to go out more without a parent) I stopped watching so much TV. My mom was in the same boat as you are. She worked 40 hours a week, she had me at age 45 (not kidding) by the time i was 10, she was 55 & TIRED! So, she was pooped. The TV was her savior for us kids. I'm normal...finished my 4 years of college & have a great life. I don't think it will destroy a kid as much as people say. But, i do think it encourages laziness & lack of ambition.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think it depends on the child (and the age of the child). My two year old has a TV in her room (and I do NOT feel bad about it! LOL), and she watches probably an hour total a day. She does not have cable and only watches Baby E, Sesame Street (or related - like Elmo's World, Count it Higher, etc.), Barney and Dora. While she LOVES her shows, books and toys are way more interesting to her, and she spends a great deal of time playing with mom and dad.

I don't want her to get in the habit of sitting in front of a TV all day, so we limit her time. Every child is different, though, and depending on how old they are, they should be "allowed" a different amount of TV. Allowing a two year old a half hour in the morning to wake up to, and a half hour in the evening to settle down to, isn't going to hurt them. A ten year old should be allowed to watch a show or two after school and summertime even more than that! (As long as they
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• are also active, and reading, and doing stuff besides sitting on their butts watching TV all day).

At least that is my opinion! LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You're their mom so you will be the only person to know if they watch too much. I think personally, if they only repeat what they see on TV or act like that then it is too much. Kids need more exercise then down time. IMO. I know my kids are much better behaved when they have burnt out a lot of energy:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 12:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Although for my son he doesn't watch ANY AT ALL...watching TV has never done me any harm and I grew up on it...although I think I just naturally resisted as I tend to sit and read or do other things. I never watch TV now (well I don't own a TV) and never really did before my son was born...only up until I was around 18 I guess.

I think too much is 1 minute lol...for my son anyway.

I think if TV becomes the centre of entertainment then it is too much. It depends what you want your child to be like I suppose...you can have power over that by putting a TV in every room, getting rid of all TVs, having a room full of books likme a library and also helping children have plenty to do outside..like gardening etc.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• "I think too much is 1 minute lol...for my son anyway. "

This is me. Honestly, I can get roped into TV, but I think it's pretty much horrible. Like I said in response to another post the other day, people will buy organic food before they will turn off the tv, and yet ignore all the research that shows how bad it is. TV shuts down creativity and physical activity. If a kid is watching it all day they aren't learning how to face reality and, in fact, are building their understanding of the world around them on a fantasy. If they don't get along when the tv is off, it's no wonder.

Having said that, I know how easy it is to get in the habit of having it on (DH and I just vacationed in a friend's cabin and watched too much tv!). I don't have a TV and don't plan on ever having one for the reasons above as well as my own lack of discipline!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010