Is this strange to anyone else?

I've been trying to lose weight, and I asked DH for some help; like ideas, exercises, things like that. I've been doing the exercises that he suggested everyday and I have lost a little weight, but now he's angry and refuses to help anymore. The reason that he's not helping anymore is that I won't do the exercises in front of him so he says that if I can't exercise in front of him that I'm not exercising at all. I'm kind of shy because of my weight and kind of feel like a spectacle if I have to work out in front of people, which is why I do it at home. Would it bother anyone else if your DH said that he wouldn't help anymore because he didn't believe that you were working out, despite the obvious weight loss, because you didn't work out in front of him (while he criticized how you were doing the exercises)? I'm not in the best shape, but I'm getting better and it's kind of an ego kill to have him be so negative about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• tell him to kiss your ass. I don't work out in front of anyone, it is my alone time
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yes, that sounds a little off. Is he mad at you for not being in shape or mad at you for losing weight and starting to look better, like as a jealousy thing??
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 12:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Do it as you want. It's really unfair and unkind for him to act this way. You can get plenty of ideas from friends and online. Prove to him it's working by how you end up looking in the end. you don't need that kind of "help"
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• maybe he is turned on by the idea of you working out. just try it once and make it sexy.... it might lead to a better workout . im just saying. my hubby is kinda strange....
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 12:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Does he want you to lose weight? He cannot control that aspect of your life that is compltely INSANE! You keep it up girl~! Let him get mad!
    It feels better anyway when you do it yourself. Its a bigger accomplishment~!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 12:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He sounds like a real control freak, and an immature one to boot--I mean really, WTH? "WAHHH, you won't work out in front of me so I'm not going to help you!" What's next--will he take his toys and go home? Sorry, I don't mean to be bitchy, but yeah, I'd tell him to stuff it where the sun don't shine and keep doing my thing.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Honey, I wont even work out in front of my kids! I recorded (gotta love the DVR) some things from FitTV and even though DH knows they are there, he respects that those are MINE. I dont want him to watch the shows, I dont want him to even imagine me doing the exercises... but he knows they are working! I haven't lost any weight yet, but I'm toning up a little, my curves are getting more obvious...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Good for you for doing this! I understand, I'm a little self-conscious, too, and I would feel the same as you. I'm sorry he's making you feel bad. I guess just keep up the good work. Do it for yourself and let him pout. Sooner or later if he has any brains at all he'll see what a fool he's being! Go mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would just tell him you are uncomfortable with it. When I went to the gym for the very first time I hated it..I felt uncomfortable and out of place..it wasn't until I went to a really nice gym where the staff were super awesome that I felt comfortable. I don't go to the gym now but if I did I would have no problem going as I know what to expect and am more confident now...

Just tell him that you will work out in front of him when you are more confident and that if he doesn't believe you and doesn't want to help well that upsets you but its his choice if he no longer wants to help you get healthy.

I think your husband is being a jerk though. YOU would only be cheating yourself if you weren't working out and he shouldn't be so on you..like he is. I would probably not turn to him for help and seek someone elses who isn't going to make you feel bad - this will only hinder your progress.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I won't work out in front of my husband either - or anyone for that matter.. I say I like the first answer haha
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010