will your child sit at the table for an entire meal?

or will s/he get up after 10 minutes? do you make him/her stay there? how? or do you just let them get up when they are done?

my son will be 3 in 3 mos and he always gets up after just a little while and says he's full. i want him to stay sitting there the entire time but not sure how that would be possible.

please no "learn to discipline/control your child" posts. thanks ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's a rule that our son must sit at the table with us until we're all done with dinner. We consider dinner to be family time. We've never had that issue because it's been a rule from day 1.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Mine do, I'm not sure when they started. It was after they turned 3. Somewhere between 3 and 4. He will change so much this year that soon it won't be an issue.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my daughter same
    she is three in a weeks
    sits in her chair-two minutes
    then das lap for two
    then my lap for one
    then goes into other room
    etc etc

but she does have issues...spd, sensory seeker, tacile issues, food issues and autism

we try to keep her there at table more encourage then make her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My dd is two and yes, she sits at the table for an entire meal. Yes, she gets restless sometimes, but we talk to her, tell her to be patient, sometimes give her something to do, etc. I think it is important to sit down and have meals as a family, so I do "make her".
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son is nearly 3 and the only meal he will actually stay still for is dinner = his last meal. During the day he would usually have something, eat lots quickly...wander off and come back for more. He eats a lot of fruit during the day and walks around with an apple. Sometimes he will sit depending on how much he wants it. Like if we have strawberries he will sit for those..and loves sitting out in the garden to eat lots of satsumas.

Generally though he will just walk about during the day and then his evening meal he will sit. If he didn't sit though I wouldn't force him to - I just let him do what he wants when it comes to food. He eats so well and very healthy and I like to let him stay in tune with his natural sensations of hunger and thirst instead of forcing him to eat at a time he might not be hungry or forcing to him eat more than he actually wants to.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We have always made her sit through the meal, so now it is normal for her. now if The Adults are lingering and chatting I will let her get up.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 1:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 3.5 year old sits through every meal we have as a family. Sometimes he will try to get up because he sees other kids do it at the babysitter's or when we go over to a friend's house for dinner, but we always direct him back to the table. He's actually a very slow eater, so typically DH & I are done eating and working on the dishes before he's even done.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 3 yr-old ds has a hard time sitting still. We have found that if we ask the boys questions while we are eating, our LO will sit a little longer because he loves to tell us a story or how his day went. Some days he just wants to leave the table after he has finished eating. We let him get up. He usually sticks around the table to play with his trains, cars, or actions figures. He is a work in progress. Being flexible works for us. My other 2 ds have no problems sitting through an entire meal.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010