My daughter's private area is red & itchy! HELP!

My 4 year old is complaining about her private area itching & the outside of it is red. I have been putting vasaline on it to help. I have also noticed that it has an odor to it. I had taken her to the Dr. a couple weeks ago because it was burning after she urinated & her urine test said nothing was wrong. Could she have a female type infection? If so, how do they check for that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• She could have a yeast infection. I think she probably needs to go back to her doctor.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• YEAST INFECTION!!! DO NOT USE VASELINE!!!! take her back to her ped, use some topical OTC cream, and she should be fine.

Using a barrier like that seals it in, and makes it WORSE!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree, most likely a yeast infection. Try OTC athletes foot cream (I know it sounds crazy), and it should get rid of it.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• take her back to the doctor!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sounds like yeast to me! Nystatin is what they should give her. You use it externally but it clears it up. You can also try that little tube of cream they give for itching in the Monistat box. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• if it is a yeast infection , any anti-fungal medication used externally will help but does take time to be effective. if the yeast infection has gotten severe they may reccomend oral prescription medications
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• do u use a bubble bath in the tub? or sometype of soap to wash her? i had burning and itchy rashes when my mom would wash me at 4 with all types of bubble bath. i could only using skin so soft by avon to have bubble baths. u can get corn strach and put a little sprinkle on her after a bath and alittle in her undies. it helped the itch. but id also go to the doc and see what they say
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010