What is the age that the pacy should be taken away.

My son is 21 months right now. He mostly uses it at bedtime but i do take it out with me incase he really throws a fit.

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD gave up her bottle at about 14 months and turned it in for a paci. I finally stole it from her right before her second birthday. She was the same as your son, she only used it at bed time, but I was SICK of them, we were going to Las Vegas and I didn't want to take a pacifier with me, so I broke her of it before we left. It literally only took three nights of crying before she realized it was gone fro good. She did take up thumb sucking, though...... Gaaah! That one is going to be a pain to break..

With all of that being said, its up to the parents!! You'll take it when you feel he is ready - but don't wait too long and let it mess up his teeth. I know most dentists say two, so he still has a few months.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son gave up his pacy at 1.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Personally, I feel that they are only little for really 5 years out of 100, so..I prefer to let mine keep the comfort object until they want to give it up. And USUALLY, most kids give it up by 5 all on their own. So, who would it really hurt to let them keep it until then?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we chucked the binky around 14 months or so...
    it wasn't too bad though, he didn't miss it much.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• About one.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Well my first child didn't get rid of hers until she was 2 1/2..it was rough.
    My second never would take one.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son had a little bear thing. It was a teddy bear head and a little sack for the body. He carried it everywhere, couldn't sleep without it, the only way he'd calm down is if he had sucky bear in his mouth, we couldn't leave the house without it.

My (ex)husband wanted to get rid of it really early on but I couldn't take it from him because he loved it so much. When he was 3 he set Sucky down on a box while we were moving into our new place and another box was put on top without knowing he was under there.
    We thought we had lost him so I prepared myself for a horrible night. He asked where he was and I said I wasn't sure but that we'd find him and not to worry.
    I found him the next day but I put him in my sock drawer to see how long we could last without him.
    It's now been just over 4 months and he hasn't asked for him.
    He even saw a picture of him with Sucky the other day and he asked what it was.
    It's pretty amazing.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I personally think that before 2. I don't really like seeing kids who are about 5 & 6 years old having one...
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• both of mine didnt really use one past 4 or 5 months... if they had it would have disappeared the night before their first birthday just like any bottles we had in the house...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was told by our children's pediatrician that pacifiers should never be used at all. His reasoning was that it could give your child "buck teeth" if it is used for extended periods of time. You really don't want your child to have to have braces because of something you put in your babies mouth when they were little. The sooner you can break your babies need for it, the better off. Only a suggestion though
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010