What do you SAHM's do to keep you children entertained?

Looking for fun indoor and outdoor easy quick clen up things to entertain my daughter. She is 3

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 1:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Playing outside on the swingset, sidewalk chalk on the patio, parks, eating lunch at indoor playlands, playing dolls or little people or what not, play doh, coloring, right now the beach or the outdoor pool or the kiddie pool in our own backyard, the sandbox.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm not a SAHM, but I do have sleepovers with lots of kids all the time because my kids love it! We made tote bags.. Popsicle stick puppets.. They have all kinds of kits to do at Walmart & they keep your kid entertained. I have a 3 year old too!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a very small, closed in back yard so my 3yo son can go and play out there as he pleases and I don't need to be out there with him the whole time. He keeps himself entertained with his trucks and a pile of dirt.

Inside we have dance parties, we do puzzles, colour, read stories, play with toys, he helps me prepare meals(I peel and chop veggies, he puts the peels in the bin and the veggies in the pot, or I measure ingredients and he pours them into the bowl and stirs), we'll watch a movie, wrestle etc...

I have an 11mo DD as well so they entertain each other sometimes...sometimes I have to be a referee. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We homeschool and my son attends several activities outside of the home.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have 3 kids under the age of 4. They entertain each other. They love to create pretend games to play. When they start to get restless or bored, we go outside and play in the backyard or go for a walk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When my kids were three we would:
    - bake together
    - go for walks in the neighborhood. Play I Spy while we walked - look for letters, colors, shapes, numbers
    - go to a local park
    - put music on and have a dance party (me and them)
    - Use chairs and blankets to build an indoor tent. Sit under it and tell stories you take turns making up.
    - use tissue paper and flashlights to make a campfire
    - read
    - arts and crafts - painting pictures, craft projects, get creative
    - make your own play dough then create
    - lots and lots of Legos/Duplos
    - garden together
    - hide and seek
    - board games (age appropriate of course)
    - get a big old box. Let her make it what she wants it to be - a plane, a train, a car, a house
    - The usual assortment of toys. ;)
    - play school. let her teach you
    - go on a caterpillar hunt. Get a butterfly keeper (a pop-up netted thing) and move a caterpillar into it with it's fa
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't entertain my kids.  That's their job.  My 4yo likes to color and draw.  She has a dollhouse and Barbies.  She also has 3 older siblings.  They all go outside to play or play with each other.  She watches TV and plays the DS (occasionally, she was super excited to get her hands on it today).  She plays games (with her siblings or makes on her own, making up her own rules as she goes along).  Most of that she does right next to me and tells me every little thing she does.  Some of the stories she comes up with are hilarious and she likes to draw them out.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we bake, go to the farmers market, go to a park, children's museum, on picnics (in our back yard or away). go on walks, go to garage sales looking for books, go to petting zoos.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• BUBBLES.
    I swear if they were gold we'd be rich! My 3 year old loves them, and even asks to do the dishes just so she can be the "washer" and play with the bubbles. She is actually very helpful at washing. I also have a 1 year old, of course she loves them too.
    Other things she likes to do:
    Swim in the kiddie pool... they will play all day every day if I let them.
    We will walk to the library, they both love it.
    I recently purchased a double bike trailer, and they love that.
    finger painting.... they love it, I hate it.
    checking out different parks in our city

At my gym, they have group family classes a few times a week.
    Several of the parks in my city have water play areas.
    Inviting friends to do things with us
    baking/cooking

dirt---enough said :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010