HEALTH INSURANCE THROUGH WORK V.S. OUTSIDE COMPANY

I am looking into getting outside health/dental/vision insurance with prescription benefits on my own v.s. getting health insurance through work. I am paying about $600 per month through work & is restricted to go to certain hospital for the insurance to pay the 90% and not the 80% if i were to go any hopsital. that 10% can be a big difference. i understand going to a in network doctors that is ok....Has anyone get insurance on your own and how has it work out for you? Is it a better deal or was it more trouble than it is worth. i am contemplating another job that will pay at least $10 more per hr than what i am getting now; but it doesnt include benefits. Hence, the search for possible outside insurance purchase....Please let me know....Thank you for your time.

FON

Asked by FON at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Health

• We've always had it through dh's work, but I know a few people that have their own businesses so they need to purchase outside health insurance and the cost is just insane, which is why most people try to get it through work. I don't know a ton about it other than it being much more expensive. Just start shopping around, good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Try "Emblem Health". But it may cost more. If your coverage at work covers you & a child & spouse, private health insurance is going to cost a lot more.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010