How do you get you kids up and teeth brushed and all the things they really don't like to do on the mornings they wake up grumpy?

Sometimes DD wakes up in a bad mood and refuses to do what we need to get done before we leave my house to go sit with my grandfather. This is rare but happens I get the bad mood thing because sometimes I don't wake up "happy" but how do you get threw it?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A few things I have found that help are; 1. Waking up with more then enough time to do things slowly and not hurry ppl. (any one would be annoyed if there was somethong after them rushing them & I'm not saying you do this mama:) just saying) 2. A cheerful desposition (which isn't always easy to fake), if we have one and don't jump on them for being grumpy (which doesn't include correcting rudeness but may mean every once in a while being merciful and turning the otehr way) they will slowly melt off that grumpiness. 3. Space; let them know what has to be done give them the time they need to have it done by and back off.

If yout thinking, well then he just wont eat his BF or he just wont brush his teeth, if that really such a big deal? Buy breakfast bars toss him one in the car, buy those http://www.colgatewisp.com/wisp/HomePage?cid=ppc_gg_nb_stan_Wisp_Broad_disposable+toothbrush you don't even need water for it.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you got me.. My son can wake up pretty moody also and I just basically tell him we aren't leaving until its done and chalk it up to a future routine and hope later it wont be as much of an issue
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I just say "fine".. it doesn't happen very often at all..thats why I don't make a huge deal out of it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• please pass the answer along to me too when you find out...i still can't get my 5 year old to be happy at first thing in the morning and brushed...without me getting frustrated. we bought way too many toothbrushes and tubes of paste to get him excited about mornign routines....it is still a struggle....
    FON

Answer by FON at 1:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My point is, simplify life. Some of us moms can take things so seriously sometimes & we can get so harsh with our kids. (At least that's how I remember my mornings growing up).

We might not believe it but school is hard for kids, it's emotionally draning. physically draning, psycholocicaly draining the last thing they need is to start the day off with a mom who's high strung over brushing teeth and eating cereal :D

That's not to say we shouldn't teach our children that those things are important. But if we give them the responsibility to take care of their own needs (providing minimal back up) they will either make the right choices or make so so choices (because of our back up) and then correct their choices when they get fed up of the snack bars :D

BTW if the WISPs thing becomes permanent I suggest it starts to come out of their allowences :) But that's just me! I hope that helps.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Well when I am working during the school year, DH wakes DD up at 5:30 am. It's a bit rough, but he got a good routine down. He takes her into our room and lets her watch a Sponge bob episode. That wakes her up a bit more. He then dresses her, and takes her to brush her teeth and has her go potty. After I am all dressed, I go downstairs with her and give her a bowl of cereal. While she eats I fix her hair, and get her into the car afterwards. She then goes back to sleep while we drive to daycare. It's a long drive, so she enjoys the extra sleep. It will be interesting when this school year begins. I'll have a 3 month old now too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010