Is this a normal request?

I don't have a brother and my sister and I are not very close therefore I am asking if this sounds normal.

So my hubby has a sister one year his junior. She lives in MD. We are in CA. Last time he saw her was at our wedding in Oct'08. Tomorrow we are taking a one week vacation with her & his parents. She asked him if they could have a whole day together - alone. No wife - no kids. Now I'm not sure if this is rude to me or normal...I know it's not something I would request but I just want opinions.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 1:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it is normal for her to miss him and want one on one time, but this is a family vacation and I think a bit rude to take an entire day. That would put me off some I must admit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think it's normal. Especially if they haven't seen each other in 2 years.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Ya I agree wit renea20.... If I hadn't seen my sibling in 2 years I would want some 1 on 1 time with them
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• She wants one on one time with him. Totally normal. How does he feel about it?
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 1:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If I hadn't seen my sister in almost two years I would absolutely want one on one time with her (we're two years apart). Having (don't take offense to this) interruptions and what not from significant others and children make it very hard to spend quality one on one time with siblings.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• She probably just wants to do something for only the two of them. I wanted that with my mom a few months ago . She lives in NC and I live in AZ..so I hadn't seen her in almost 2 yrs. She had just gotten engaged, and it was nothing against her BF, but I wanted to chil with just her. He was cool about it, b/c he knew it wasn't meant to exclude him.
    Don't worry. If she ddnt like you, I'm sure you would know by now.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• She wants to reminisce and talk about old times without children or other family members around. A whole day seems like more than is needed, but if they run out of things to chat about I expect that they'll come home.

Answer by Bmat at 1:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i think that's pretty normal. i would LOVE to have a day with my brother! i would not be offended at all.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, I was having trouble wrapping my head around the request since I'm really not close to my sibling. My mom and I both thought it odd but I totally see how she would want to just hang without a nosy wife around. Hubby is close with his sis so he's fine with the request. I think he felt weird telling me though since it's never been asked of us before.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think it's fair. I would KILL for a few hours alone with my brother w/o our folks or his wife around. Not because I don't like them....but because it's hard to have the same kind of intimate discussions with an audience. I too only see my brother about once a year at best. We haven't gotten to talk much on the phone this last year either because he's been in Iraq. So yeah....we have a lot of catching up to do.

Flip side though, I can see why it might make you uncomfortable, especially if you're not particularly close to his folks. A whole day is a long time to expect someone to fend for themselves.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 1:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010