Would you move??

I have only ever lived in one town my entire life, it is small and wonderful, and I love it here. My SO (DD's dad) got offered a job two hours away making pretty good money, enough that I could just work part time and focus on finishing school.

The thing is, my entire family is here, all of my support, everything I know. I want my kids to go to school in the town I grew up in, I don't want them to have to switch schools once they start, etc. I am really on the fence about whether or not we should move, because I don't think we'll be able to move back prior to my DD starting school, and my parents are PISSED! They are not happy about it at all...

Would you take the job, make the move, or just stick it out and wait for an opportunity to hit closer to home??

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it is good money, I would move. You have to decide what is best for your family and if a better opportunity presented itself to you, take it. Your parents should be supportive of your decision. Why are they not happy about it?

My parents would want the best for me and my family. They would supportive any decision that I made if it were best.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Take the opportunity! It's only 2 hours away, you can still be close enough to your family. Plus you will be able to go back to school that will help you out in the future whatever those plans are.
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 1:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, because my place is with my husband. We learn to depend on one other for support so it's been good for our marriage in a long run. In our case it's not so bad and in a sense it's a new adventures and children do adjust so long as the parents adjust as well.  It's been good for us.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i would take it! i wouldnt worry about what my parents thought, i'm an adult. i miss the little town that i grew up in, but i'm a lot farther that 2 hrs! and what if he doesnt get another opportunity like this? what if this leads to even better ones?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would feel bad holding my husband back, especially if it was a job that would really benefit us. I am in a similar situation, and if my husband gets the job, we will take it to better ourselves. It won;t be easy, I have lived here my entire life also, and our parents won't be too happy because we just gave them a Grandson, but they have already said that they will understand that we need to better our situation. The job my husband might get has wonderful benefits, etc. In the long run it would be so worth it. With a chance to only work part time and focus on finishing school, think of how this could benefit your family! I know that your parents will understand eventually, although they will miss you. It is only two hours away. That is close enough for weekend visits from either side! Don't stay because you are scared to leave your confort zone! =) Good Luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 2 hours doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Making the drive might take some getting used to but it's not like you're moving out of state, or even across state.

I would even consider a job 2 hours away without moving but people do that in my area, i realize most people wouldn't.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would so take the opportunity!! yeah u will be further away from your family but if this move will make things easier for you and your kids then i think its worth it! good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 2 hours is not bad at all. You can go for the weeekends or for quick overnights. You have to do what is best for your immediate family. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Do what you think is best for u and will make u happy.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't.. I feel the same way you do.. this is what I know & I wouldn't want to change it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010