how do i go about getting my 2 year old tested for autism?

me and my husband mentioned to our daughters doctor that we think she has autism the doctor wont listen we have looked on line and found out info about autism and theres a list of things that point to it about her and we have a gut feeling somethings wrong we dont know hove to get a hold of a specialest in nh to get her tested or even what we should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Well why do you think it's autism? If you do not want to post here if you can't anon PM me. I have a friend who's DD has autism and maybe I can ask her and she can let me know what the chances are since the Dr brushed it off she may be OK. Please PM me I want to help. If anything I will look for a place online for you.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Either see if you have a birth to 3 program in your area-its through the social services division- or check with your local school district. Either can steer you in the right direcion to getting an evaluation. Good luck!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son is autistic, they took him to a specialist, and a nurologist they dont diagnose it till they are 3 i beleive, if u could tell me somethings about her i maybe able to give u my opinion on if i think she is from personal experiances..
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• trust your gut

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Take her to another doctor who will listen to you then. It just depends on your insurance as well. Sometimes, insurance companies - in order to cover it, will require your doctor to refer you to a specialist. Other insurance companies just don't care.
    If I were you, however, I would take her to another doctor for a second opinion. I wouldn't want to see a doctor who ignores my concerns and worries.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Demand that your Doctor listen to you and if he doesn't go to another one because you need a Doctor who will listen. It NEVER hurts to have a child tested for autism. Early intervention is VERY VERY important. In Tennessee we have TEIS (TN Early Intervention System). With our son our Doctor listened to us and took us seriously, he sent my son to be evaluated and got us involved with TEIS, because of this our son was diagnosed at 18 months. I KNOW that our son would not be as high functioning if we had not caught it sooner and gotten involved with TEIS. Find out if your state has an Early Intervention and contact them.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You can bypass your child's doctor by calling Early Intervention services yourself (birth to age 3 program). EI programs are mandated in every state by the federal government and do evaluations for free. Some also provide services for free, while others have a sliding fee scale. In general, EI specialists will come to your home and evaluate your DD in several areas of development, including social & language skills, which, if there are issues in these two areas, can be indicitive of having an ASD.

You may also wish to consider finding a new primary care physician for your DD if you feel that the one you have now does not take your concerns seriously.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Developmental Pediatrican. Find one and make an appointment. I have three on the spectrum myself and they can diagnose it before three years of age. Be prepared for at least an hour or more at the appointment and they will ask alot of questions. PM me anytime. Oh and i second the find a new primary care doctor. They really should address any concerns you have.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Definitely follow up on this! You will be a reassured if an autism specialist says nothing is wrong, but if she does have a developmental disorder, you can start treatment. Research has shown that the earlier a child begins treatment, the better their chances. Early intervention can make the difference between being mainstreamed in school, going to college, and being able to live independently as an adult.

Autism Speaks has a section on diagnosis http://www.autismspeaks.org/diagnosis/index.php and on finding a provider http://www.autismspeaks.org/community/fsdb/search.php

My daughter has High-Functioning Autism (which her pediatrician missed completely!) and is doing really well now with sensory integration therapy, OT, & PT.
    CCHSMOM

Answer by CCHSMOM at 1:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010