teeth grinding

hi, my 4 year old son has started grinding his teeth in his sleep for the past month. I s that something to worry about? He takes naps most of the time, we try to get him asleep about 9pm, but most nights he stays up until 11pm, but wakes up between 8am and 10am. he very active durning the day and very hyper. we try to limit the sugar, he eats healthy, except he hates vegies, but we give him v 8splash to make up for that. so I'm clueless on his teeth grinding.

sweetheart1207

Asked by sweetheart1207 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Health

• Its related to stress sometimes or breathing problems. My son ground his teeth all night even after his aednoids were taken out which I had heard sometimes helps. Anyway at age 7 I think he had an expander put in (sort of a prebraces appliance type thing) and the grinding just about stopped.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Teeth grinding is just a habit like thumb sucking or nail biting. But I'd bring it up at his next doc appt. I grind my teeth and after I get insurance again I'm gonna have to have surgery on jaw. It's started locking up and it pops when I chew and hurts. It would be better to try to stop it now before it gets worse.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we just found out he is in his first stage of asthma.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• its related to the asthma then most likely my son who grinded is asthmatic
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010